Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Fallen lily leaf

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Layers mini-tut - to get your feet wet
1) open image in PS
2) ctrl-J (makes a new layer)
3) edit>adjustment>exposure -- move exposure slider to the right and click OK (just to have a change applied to your new layer)
4) layer>layer mask>hide all -- creates a mask on your layer, all black hiding the effect -- note, your layer mask is also currently selected
5) click on your brush tool, select the first one, soft round and set the size to your liking - reduce opacity to 20 percent
6) type x once or twice, you want the white color on top (x will flip white and black - your colors will be white and black because your layer mask is selected)
7) use your brush on the canvas and watch things get brighter in the places you brushed.

Of course, for step 3), I would use ACR filter and change a bunch of sliders around, instead of just the exposure...
First assignment report:
on my MacBook Air, cmd-j makes a new layer; and I have to go to Image>Adjustment>Exposure, not Edit.
I selected the first brush but there was no choice of soft round

here's my screen; almost impossible to see the effects in the tiny layer

what am I doing wrong? You will regret getting me into this. Matt
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 3.52.46 PM.png
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Hold control + option and drag trackpad right and left or up and down....to change brush size and hardness...there are also other ways

Check the icons at the bottom of the layer panel...1/2 moon looking one has all the adjustment layers...one to the left adds a mask....command I - inverts mask

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm
Hold control + option and drag trackpad right and left or up and down....to change brush size and hardness...there are also other ways
Thanks Frank. Am I supposed to see the results in the working window ? If so, how do I do that? The small icon in layers is too small to see.Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes, with the brush tool selected and your mask....hold the control and option, click track pad and move to adjust brush size right and left and hardness up and down...then click trackpad only and move to paint with brush...black or white

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

<grin> - you are doing good Matt! Yes, it Was Image>adjustments, not Edit>adjustments. My Bad. If you press F5 you should see Brush Adjustments (the top left brush is described as soft round 30 I think)
I see painting on your mask, you DID it!!

On the top layer, see the little eyeball to the left of it?? click that on and off and you will see the difference that your painting has made.

edit - also, we can turn the mask of layer into a selection if you wish. You would:
1) right click on the mask
2) select add mask to selection
3) from menu do Select->Select and Mask (this will let you see your mask at a much larger scale)
4) press cancel button by Ok and Cancel. Or you could paint on this screen to add to the selection
5) or after paint, see the Output To: with a pull down saying Selection. Change that to "Layer Mask" and hit OK
6) your selection is still active, to clear out the selection from the Menu bar do Select->Deselect
Steps 1-5 is one way that you can see up close the mask that you are painting.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 am
Playing in the house. Matt

photoMentoris-177.jpgphotoMentoris-176.jpgphotoMentoris-175.jpg
photoMentoris-171.jpg
Very nice set Matt. My favorite is the last one. The colors are rich but muted, the detail delicate, the theme moving.

That first one would be wonderful with a slightly different focus I think, more towards the edges than the interior, but that may just be my own bias. Duck could probably tell us for sure.

PS I am loving these little tutorial pieces Frank and Piet are doing!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 am
Playing in the house. Matt

photoMentoris-177.jpgphotoMentoris-176.jpgphotoMentoris-175.jpg
photoMentoris-171.jpg
Very nice set Matt. My favorite is the last one. The colors are rich but muted, the detail delicate, the theme moving.

That first one would be wonderful with a slightly different focus I think, more towards the edges than the interior, but that may just be my own bias. Duck could probably tell us for sure.

PS I am loving these little tutorial pieces Frank and Piet are doing!
Thanks Minnie. I focused here there and everywhere wanting to keep the "legs" very sharp but bring as much of the rest of the leaves into focus but wasn't able to do so. So I 'settled' for the legs. I have a few others in the lot and I may go back and peek. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm
<grin> - you are doing good Matt! Yes, it Was Image>adjustments, not Edit>adjustments. My Bad. If you press F5 you should see Brush Adjustments (the top left brush is described as soft round 30 I think)

On the top layer, see the little eyeball to the left of it?? click that on and off and you will see the difference that your painting has made.

edit - also, we can turn the mask of layer into a selection if you wish. You would:
3) from menu do Select->Select and Mask (this will let you see your mask at a much larger scale)
4) press cancel button by Ok and Cancel. Or you could paint on this screen to add to the selection
5) or after paint, see the Output To: with a pull down saying Selection. Change that to "Layer Mask" and hit OK
6) your selection is still active, to clear out the selection from the Menu bar do Select->Deselect
I clicked on the eyeball on the top layer but the image in the working window didn't change. The only thing that changed was that the eyeball disappeared.

In #3 above, where is the menu? I looked all over the screen and couldn't find it. I clicked on a lot of stuff and nada. So I stopped there.

Told you would regret this.

Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 am

Matt, since you are just learning....it might be hard to see a change at 19% opacity unless you go over the same spot a time or two. You might have better luck using 100% opacity and changing the flow to 19% then reduce the layer opacity to taste.

Try both at 100% so you can see what happens and get the hang of it then reduce and paint out or in little by little...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

I clicked on the eyeball on the top layer but the image in the working window didn't change. The only thing that changed was that the eyeball disappeared.

In #3 above, where is the menu? I looked all over the screen and couldn't find it. I clicked on a lot of stuff and nada. So I stopped there.

Told you would regret this.

Matt
Matt, Frank's advise is a good idea, change the opacity of your brush to 100 percent. Also, perhaps your second image (the top one) hasn't changed that much. So just for fun, right now, your layer mask has a white box around it, showing that it is active. Click on the box to the left of it (the top image that you made lighter). That activates it... Then using your brush, paint a big ugly X on it, or paint some lines, do something to it so that later when you clear the mask you can easily see the results.

By menu, I just ment the top line, where it says: File - Edit - Image - Layer - Type - Select - Filter, etc