"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseFallen lily leaf

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Fallen lily leaf

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 am

Playing in the house. Matt


photoMentoris-177.jpg
photoMentoris-176.jpg
photoMentoris-175.jpg
photoMentoris-171.jpg
Attachments
photoMentoris-172.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 am

elegant, simple, very beautiful work. My favorites were the high-key of the second and texture and colors of the last. LOL, I like the composition and large reflection of the first. The reflection of the fourth looks like a flying bird.

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:57 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 am
elegant, simple, very beautiful work. My favorites were the high-key of the second and texture and colors of the last. LOL, I like the composition and large reflection of the first. The reflection of the fourth looks like a flying bird.
Thanks Piet. If you want to play with any of them in PS to show and tempt me, please feel free. I would love to see how your imagination works these. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13 pm

All very interesting images Matt..well done

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:57 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 am
elegant, simple, very beautiful work. My favorites were the high-key of the second and texture and colors of the last. LOL, I like the composition and large reflection of the first. The reflection of the fourth looks like a flying bird.
Thanks Piet. If you want to play with any of them in PS to show and tempt me, please feel free. I would love to see how your imagination works these. Thanks. Matt
that would be sacrilege! Worked on the last one to selectively add a little contrast and light and a little bit of sharpening.. But I think I like your version more...
Matt.jpg

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks. Did you do that in Lightroom ? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by mikec » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Liked the technique a lot.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Thanks. Did you do that in Lightroom ? Matt
Mostly I used ACR, and used PS to mask out the effects. I think ACR and Lightroom are pretty much the same. One thing I did was lighten the image as a whole, then put a layer mask on it removing the effect entirely and then on the layer mask, painted the effect back in (where I thought the light might be hitting it).

Mostly I just always create a new layer, apply a filter to it, click the eye-ball on and off so I can see the difference, then remove everything via a mask and paint it back on where I want the effect to land. Sharpening too, only sharpened the already sharper areas. PS is a great tool, limitted only by my knowledge of how to use it, and perhaps even more important, figuring out what an image needs.

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:45 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Thanks. Did you do that in Lightroom ? Matt
Mostly I used ACR, and used PS to mask out the effects. I think ACR and Lightroom are pretty much the same. One thing I did was lighten the image as a whole, then put a layer mask on it removing the effect entirely and then on the layer mask, painted the effect back in (where I thought the light might be hitting it).

Mostly I just always create a new layer, apply a filter to it, click the eye-ball on and off so I can see the difference, then remove everything via a mask and paint it back on where I want the effect to land. Sharpening too, only sharpened the already sharper areas. PS is a great tool, limitted only by my knowledge of how to use it, and perhaps even more important, figuring out what an image needs.
Thanks, Piet. To start, I think I want to learn layers and selections in PS. A chunk to chew, I know, but I will be house-bound for some time and this would fill it. I will ask Duck for his advice. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Layers mini-tut - to get your feet wet
1) open image in PS
2) ctrl-J (makes a new layer)
3) edit>adjustment>exposure -- move exposure slider to the right and click OK (just to have a change applied to your new layer)
4) layer>layer mask>hide all -- creates a mask on your layer, all black hiding the effect -- note, your layer mask is also currently selected
5) click on your brush tool, select the first one, soft round and set the size to your liking - reduce opacity to 20 percent
6) type x once or twice, you want the white color on top (x will flip white and black - your colors will be white and black because your layer mask is selected)
7) use your brush on the canvas and watch things get brighter in the places you brushed.

Of course, for step 3), I would use ACR filter and change a bunch of sliders around, instead of just the exposure...

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests