“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseRainbow Dyed Daisies (DOF testing)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Rainbow Dyed Daisies (DOF testing)

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm

So, sick as I've been and unable to get out of the house I took advantage of these wild-dyed daisies (there's a tiny terrible very bad pun buried in there) brought over for Erin by some guests. They were sitting on the table with the bright translucent blinds about 6 feet behind. The only light on the front was reflected from walls. I wanted to test a couple of things with the new A6000. I have acquired a couple of E-mount extension rings so I put on the 10 mm one and coupled on my "other" kit lens, the longer E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS (Optical SteadyShot). The camera was tripod mounted with the OSS turned off so it wouldn't "hunt" for non-present motion. I used autofocus with the single focus point set on the central disc of the nearest flower. I adjusted exposure so the background of bright Venetian blind would go stark white but not clip. The first of each pair was made at f/5.6, and the second was stopped to f/22. I think they look pretty good, and the change of DOF is very visible. This lens, when stopped to f/22, performs very well. I see no degradation of sharpness at the focus point but the DOF is much, um, deeper. :|
Attachments
DSC00496.EMlr.jpg
1/10 second f/5.6 ISO 200
DSC00500.EMlr.jpg
1.6 seconds f/22 ISO 200
DSC00501.EMlr.jpg
1/5 second f/5.6 ISO 200
DSC00504.EMlr.jpg
4 seconds f/22 ISO 200
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Great demo, Chuck! Your indoor tests will serve you well for whenever spring finally arrives. And somehow, it always does! I used to want to smack my co-workers in Maine, though, when they'd remark about an April SNOW shower: "oh it won't stick." HA HA

Get well soon!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Good demo Chuck, something all of us should do more of when acquiring any new equipment.

And those wild-eyed daisies :D are pretty cool too!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:01 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm
Great demo, Chuck! Your indoor tests will serve you well for whenever spring finally arrives. And somehow, it always does! I used to want to smack my co-workers in Maine, though, when they'd remark about an April SNOW shower: "oh it won't stick." HA HA

Get well soon!
In Lincoln we are at this minute undergoing "wintry mix" atop already-down 2+ inches of snow. Matt was driving Andi to school and watched a city bus corner and slide out, striking a curb at a bus stop. No one hurt, fortunately.
minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm
Good demo Chuck, something all of us should do more of when acquiring any new equipment.

And those wild-eyed daisies :D are pretty cool too!
Thanks, Min.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Scary about the bus accident. I did have to chuckle over your comment in another topic on how "wintry mix" sounds like a food treat :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 am

Are those the real colors? I want some! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 am
Are those the real colors? I want some! S-
The Daisies are real, but the colors are added by forcing the flowers to uptake food or other coloring. I don't know how commonly they are sold by florists but Erin had some guests who brought those and she put them in water. I spotted them while still fresh and grabbed the pitchers. :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm
The Daisies are real, but the colors are added by forcing the flowers to uptake food or other coloring. I don't know how commonly they are sold by florists but Erin had some guests who brought those and she put them in water. I spotted them while still fresh and grabbed the pitchers. :)
Neat! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"