"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Flowers & Plants ShowcasePampas Grass, Backlit (What Else?) Mostly

Images of plants and flowers; trees, bushes, leaves, fungi, lichen, fruits & vegetables
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Pampas Grass, Backlit (What Else?) Mostly

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I am immensely flattered by whoever quoted me on the masthead. Accordingly I submit for your approval...
ImagePampas Grass, Platte River State Park near Omaha by Charles Haacker, on Flickr This stuff was swinging wildly in the wind of an approaching storm, the sky was interesting, and the sun itself was somewhat diluted by thin cloud. This patch was very tall so it was not physically difficult for me to position myself with the sun behind the plumes. I've wanted to get pictures like this for some time. Got lucky! :D
ImagePampas Grass, Platte River State Park near Omaha by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

Aaaaaand the not-backlit-but-airily-finished one...
ImagePampas Grass, Platte River State Park near Omaha by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

mikec
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Re: Pampas Grass, Backlit (What Else?) Mostly

Postby mikec » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Very nice. I like your various treatments. Thanks for sharing.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Love the drama of #1. These grasses make such a wonderful subject - good job, Chuck!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 pm

mikec wrote:Very nice. I like your various treatments. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Mike, for looking and commenting!
LindaShorey wrote:Love the drama of #1. These grasses make such a wonderful subject - good job, Chuck!

I've always loved those grasses. I often see them on roadsides blurring past at 60+. Very often they are backlit but there's no safe way to get at them. Yesterday I came across these in pretty much perfect conditions in a state park, plenty of room, plenty of parking, no worries . Funny thing, I was out for a ride as I would have been with Daphne (It would have been our 47th). She'd heard me howl countless times how I wanted a backlit picture of them things but couldn't get off the road. Hmmmmmmmm... :| (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Backlit grasses are so fun to shoot, and fun to look at too.

They're all interesting, well caught, and creative. My favorite is the first, with those glowing adages against the dramatic sky. This is a project that's available year round, and as you've proven, could yield innumerable versions, with all manner of creative presentations.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

minniev wrote:Backlit grasses are so fun to shoot, and fun to look at too.

They're all interesting, well caught, and creative. My favorite is the first, with those glowing adages against the dramatic sky. This is a project that's available year round, and as you've proven, could yield innumerable versions, with all manner of creative presentations.

Thanks, Min. You've reminded me that I've promised to go back and tinker further with some others, like The Egg. I like that first one very much, too. I should keep notes of what I do (unless it's already in the metadata but I can't figger out how to access it). I know I took that one into someplace in NIK and monkeyed around until I saw something I liked. Seems like a duotone or something sepia-ish and I liked it better than the "straight" original. I really feel that I lucked out with this whole scenario: the tall grasses placed just right to catch the lowering sun without any other background except the oncoming storm that made the clouds much more interesting than a plain blue sky. That combination is unlikely to ever happen exactly that way again. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 am

Dude, where have you been hiding your talent? Love these! They feel like your inner artist found it's way. Love these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:Dude, where have you been hiding your talent? Love these! They feel like your inner artist found it's way. Love these! S-

Thanks so much, Steve! :oops: I still say I ain't not no artiste. It's not talent, it's technique. My only "thing" is good ol' back light. I mentioned I've wanted to get some of this stuff in the right light for years, and I did give these a little gee-whiz treatment, but all the conditions were so perfectly right. If I sound like I'm "humblebragging" I don't mean to. I am rightly proud of most of what I do (which is why I link to my Flickr), but I don't think I have a lot of vision, just generally solid technique. :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:20 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks so much, Steve! :oops: I still say I ain't not no artiste. It's not talent, it's technique. My only "thing" is good ol' back light. I mentioned I've wanted to get some of this stuff in the right light for years, and I did give these a little gee-whiz treatment, but all the conditions were so perfectly right. If I sound like I'm "humblebragging" I don't mean to. I am rightly proud of most of what I do (which is why I link to my Flickr), but I don't think I have a lot of vision, just generally solid technique. :)

Keep working the 'technique!' S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Flowers & Plants Showcase”