“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseMy Granddaughter Gave Me a Heart-Shaped Leaf

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: My Granddaughter Gave Me a Heart-Shaped Leaf

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 pm

What a great thread, Chuck, one of the best we've had! It is truly a feast of images and processing ideas to enjoy and learn from and interact about. And the best part is: you did it all right in the neighborhood with no special props. Which proves creativity is in the mind of the photographer, not in gear or exotic venues.

I love the image(s) - the leaf itself with all the variations you created, the joyful kid on the slide, and the blend of them that you created. And yes, you should print it for her, it will mean a lot to her later. I have a suggestion for you with your Andi collection if you haven't already done it: make her a photo book at least annually.

Like you, I'm gradually learning masking and image-blending, and the rather enigmatic art of using clipping masks (sometimes my clipping masks work fine and something they don't for reasons I rarely understand :? .)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Duck wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:[...] Duck, I don't disagree (exactly), but I thought long about whether to "break proscenium" with her hair and decided it was more effective to do it than not. [...]

Honestly, I love this image, flyaway hair and all. That's why my critique wasn't my typical one. My suggestions were more as an exploratory suggestion if you hadn't perilously considered those options.

I recently discovered a YouTube channel that has made me think differently about Photoshop, PixImperfect. His video on blending modes will have light bulbs going off over your head. Not one light bulb, multiple light bulbs. There is also one on how to blend hair into a composite that will probably help on this project. This kid is an awesome teacher. A must see.
Thanks, Duck! I have already looked in to PixImperfect so thanks for the tip. Great guy! Reminds me of the Phlearn guy. I really, really, really need to just start watching stuff. My long-time approach has been I want to do something how do I? It works but it's very scattershot. I would love to be able to take an actual sit down classroom course where you can stick your hand up but even at a JC level they're too $pendy. I tend to be impatient; I just want to git'r'done, and I know just enough to be dangerous. I started with PSElements 2 and learned as I went, but instead of learning the right (or at least better) way I figured out workarounds. They got the job done but it took forever for me to begin to grasp, say, layer masks. I've been distracted with learning Lightroom the past couple of years so I only go into PS when I run into something like a composite. Photoshop-wise I'm not even a grasshopper; only a nymph! :lol:
davechinn wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:
Duck wrote:Okay, now take that photo and superimpose her portrait into it. :-D
That'll make for an awesome keepsake.
davechinn wrote:I agree with Duck, excellent idea !!!
Dave

Awesome idea! Thanks to you both! What do you think of this? I went with the original golden leaf because of her hair. (This is just a few days old; she'd been sliding down plastic slides that electrified her hair. :love: )

Excellent Chuck !!! I like this very much. I also like the image you took to fill in with the leaf.
Dave
Thank you Dave! That shot was serendipitous. It was just days ago on a playground and she was so chuffed at overcoming her fear of the twisty slide, plus the static hair. :D The light nicely worked with the light on the leaf but I had never thought of the composite until you guys suggested it.
minniev wrote:What a great thread, Chuck, one of the best we've had! It is truly a feast of images and processing ideas to enjoy and learn from and interact about. And the best part is: you did it all right in the neighborhood with no special props. Which proves creativity is in the mind of the photographer, not in gear or exotic venues.

I love the image(s) - the leaf itself with all the variations you created, the joyful kid on the slide, and the blend of them that you created. And yes, you should print it for her, it will mean a lot to her later. I have a suggestion for you with your Andi collection if you haven't already done it: make her a photo book at least annually.

Like you, I'm gradually learning masking and image-blending, and the rather enigmatic art of using clipping masks (sometimes my clipping masks work fine and something they don't for reasons I rarely understand :? .)
I have thus far never used a clipping mask. I only recently learned how to properly use a layer mask. Previously I had used a homegrown workaround by putting the second image on its own layer (good so far) but then attacking it with the eraser tool (not good). Somewhere I came across the use of a layer mask and the brush tool. DUH! :oops:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 am

Charles Haacker wrote:At two+ years any gift from her is priceless. Since a dry leaf will eventually crumble, or at least get lost, the best way I can think of to preserve it is to photograph it. And so long as I'm at it, maybe play a little... :)

What an amazing idea! Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 am

Duck wrote:Okay, now take that photo and superimpose her portrait into it. :-D
That'll make for an awesome keepsake.

Wonderful idea! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:08 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Awesome idea! Thanks to you both! What do you think of this? I went with the original golden leaf because of her hair. (This is just a few days old; she'd been sliding down plastic slides that electrified her hair. :love: )

I love this! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 pm

THANKS Steve! :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Flowers & Plants”