“Don't count the days, make the days count.” —Muhammad Ali

Member's ShowcaseMore from Lincoln's Sunken Gardens

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

More from Lincoln's Sunken Gardens

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 pm

I am just a total sucker for flowers. Yes, I know, SO cliché, SO gauche, common, boring (BORE-ing!). But I likes 'em. I like the colors 'n'stuff.

I still have not got back to the Sunken Gardens (where I made the Koi picture) but I've had these since the last visit. I know yer supposed to shoot flowers in open shade or overcast, or carry a white umbrella (I need to buy one, actually), but in the 10 years I've been digitized I've pretty much shot 'em where I found 'em, and often that is in full sun. I was doing it for years in jpegs, always being careful never to overexpose the brightest highlight and pulling up the shadows in post. Since switching to all raw more than 2-1/2 years ago and finishing in Lightroom I have been flagrant in not caring what light the fleur is in. These three (one isn't a flower but ya know) had some sun getting in to each. I like that look very much, and I am not finding it at all outside the dynamic range of even the small sensor compacts (Nikon P7800) or my 1" Sony.

I freely acknowledge my favorite "cheat" for so much that I shoot: "floating ISO." In each of these I was in Aperture priority with the WB and ISO both in Auto. For rank beginners this may not be the best idea unless you are very comfortable with the exposure triad, but I used to be able to do everything manually owing to antique cameras having zip-po automation, so I figger why the heck not? If you glance at the exposure info you'll see the shutter and ISO changing for the conditions, while the aperture remains fixed, most often at f/5.6, the "sweet spot" on my lens and just right most of the time for the necessary DOF. I am almost always hand-held, but I carry a tripod in the car in the parking lot a block away. :lol:
Attachments
DSC07504.EMlr.jpg
What caught my eye here was the golden fringe on the central leaves that also happened to be in a spotlight of sun. I could have thrown the shadow open, but in fact I left the shadow slider at zero and only cut the highlights. I wanted the shadows rich and dark to emphasize the center.
Sony DSC-RX10
24-200mm F2.8
ƒ/5.6 33.4 mm 1/125 ISO 125
DSC07505.EMlr.jpg
I love cone flowers and their like. These were in good shade with a slight dapple of sun, a look I really like. I held the shadows down on this one, too, in order to keep the emphasis on the golden petals.
Sony DSC-RX10
24-200mm F2.8
ƒ/5.6 62.0 mm 1/200 ISO 640
DSC07516.EMlr.jpg
Just a kiss of back light (TINLLBL) getting in here.
Sony DSC-RX10
24-200mm F2.8
ƒ/4.0 73.3 mm 1/250 ISO 1000
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Re: More from Lincoln's Sunken Gardens

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm

If you can stand one more, this one was backlit and waving madly in the breeze on the way back to the parking lot. I admit I made several to get one sharp.
Attachments
DSC07531-2.EMlr.jpg
Sony DSC-RX10
24-200mm F2.8
ƒ/4.0 32.8 mm 1/500 125
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:If you can stand one more, this one was backlit and waving madly in the breeze on the way back to the parking lot. I admit I made several to get one sharp.
Well done all the way around Chuck...really like the spider web bits..

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Great collection of summer flowers, well taken and presented in spite of the harsh light. The spider web is pretty cool on those cannas.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Well done all the way around Chuck...really like the spider web bits..
Thanks, Frank! Me too!
minniev wrote:Great collection of summer flowers, well taken and presented in spite of the harsh light. The spider web is pretty cool on those cannas.
So that's what they are! You ID'd the green things in the conservatory but at the time they weren't blooming, and as much as I love all flowers (with the possible exception of corpse flower) I pretty much have no clue what they are and haven't the memory to retain it when I do find out. Thanks.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 pm

I love your This Is Me approach to photography. I call myself the Lazy Photographer and sometimes it shows, but mostly I mean that I shoot what I want, when I see it, and am not a fan of tripods either. There are shots I will slow down for, and even use the three-legged beast, but mostly it's raw and dirty, but honest. What I'm impressed with most here then is how you well you use what you have and pull the beauty out of things most people pass by.

Thank you too for the name of the Coneflowers. I have some I'll post soon, but didn't know their names. Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 am

St3v3M wrote:I love your This Is Me approach to photography. I call myself the Lazy Photographer and sometimes it shows, but mostly I mean that I shoot what I want, when I see it, and am not a fan of tripods either. There are shots I will slow down for, and even use the three-legged beast, but mostly it's raw and dirty, but honest. What I'm impressed with most here then is how you well you use what you have and pull the beauty out of things most people pass by.

Thank you too for the name of the Coneflowers. I have some I'll post soon, but didn't know their names. Thank you again! S-

Thanks, Steve. There are definitely times when a tripod is absolutely mandatory, but they interfere with spontaneity. My sense is that if the light is good so you can hand hold without compromising sharpness, go for it. Because I use small sensor cameras I also take unfair advantage of the one-over-the-focal-length tip (usually at least doubling it). Smaller sensors use shorter focal lengths. I did physical tests once to see if the "focal length" of the "rule" was the actual, or the virtual (equivalent to a full frame). I shot a series at dusk with a 1/1.7 sensor of the Wisconsin capitol at every shutter speed on the camera and through the range of the zoom. I did it three times, once on a tripod, once hand held with the stabilization on, and again with the stabilization off. I only began to see evidence of camera shake with the handheld-no stabilizer-maximum zoom with shutters longer than the actual physical focal length, not the full-frame equivalent. I proved to myself at least that small sensors not only have a depth-of-field advantage (which is a disadvantage sometimes), they also allow for longer handheld shutters.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I am just a total sucker for flowers. Yes, I know, SO cliché, SO gauche, common, boring (BORE-ing!). But I likes 'em. I like the colors 'n'stuff.

I still have not got back to the Sunken Gardens (where I made the Koi picture) but I've had these since the last visit. I know yer supposed to shoot flowers in open shade or overcast, or carry a white umbrella (I need to buy one, actually), but in the 10 years I've been digitized I've pretty much shot 'em where I found 'em, and often that is in full sun. I was doing it for years in jpegs, always being careful never to overexpose the brightest highlight and pulling up the shadows in post. Since switching to all raw more than 2-1/2 years ago and finishing in Lightroom I have been flagrant in not caring what light the fleur is in. These three (one isn't a flower but ya know) had some sun getting in to each. I like that look very much, and I am not finding it at all outside the dynamic range of even the small sensor compacts (Nikon P7800) or my 1" Sony.

I freely acknowledge my favorite "cheat" for so much that I shoot: "floating ISO." In each of these I was in Aperture priority with the WB and ISO both in Auto. For rank beginners this may not be the best idea unless you are very comfortable with the exposure triad, but I used to be able to do everything manually owing to antique cameras having zip-po automation, so I figger why the heck not? If you glance at the exposure info you'll see the shutter and ISO changing for the conditions, while the aperture remains fixed, most often at f/5.6, the "sweet spot" on my lens and just right most of the time for the necessary DOF. I am almost always hand-held, but I carry a tripod in the car in the parking lot a block away. :lol:

I am with you on the flower fixation. Especially photos of my wife's efforts. I like your first "flower" for its texture and range of tone. Very nicely done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve. There are definitely times when a tripod is absolutely mandatory, but they interfere with spontaneity. ...

Amen to that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I am with you on the flower fixation. Especially photos of my wife's efforts. I like your first "flower" for its texture and range of tone. Very nicely done. Matt

Thanks Matt. I came across its identification: it's Coleus. Depending on the specie, the Coleus' leaves can come in shades of red, pink, orange, yellow, green, purple or white.

Return to “Flowers & Plants”