"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseLeaf on the water - exploring editing with Chromebook apps

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Leaf on the water - exploring editing with Chromebook apps

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm

I've been enjoying a Chromebook (Google's own operating system) for a couple of years now: ease of online viewing and searches, forum participation, banking, library, email and so forth. Great to not worry about virus protection or Windows updates that always seemed to change a preference!

I've been hoping the apps for photo editing would become more robust, but I suspect they will never become anything close to Photoshop, or even PS Elements like I have on my Win 8 laptop - along with Nik and a couple of Topaz filters.

But I've found a Chromebook app that will do basic edits of raw files (including a radial and a gradiant filter for selection edits) - called Polarr. And another with a very nice clone tool + layers. The drawback with their layers option is there is no "soft light" blend mode - the one I use most! - or masking (that I can find, so far). That editor is called befunky.

At any rate, the attached is result of those two editors. I think Chuck is the only active member on this site who has a Chromebook, but if there are others lurking, please ID yourself and let's talk :) THANK YOU!
Attachments
1 layer, two clone spots, resize editfmrawP1030912.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Linda, I am amazed at the range of your talent and subjects. I would not have expected this type of muted expression from you, yet there it is. I don't like it as much as your other work; as I try to decipher my reaction, I suspect it lacks punch for me even though that may be what you intended. The image reminds me of the fading of summer and, by extension, the impermanence of things. The blurring effect gives the image a lazy look, again, intentional I am sure. Disregard all this; my critiques are very unsophisticated and I often hesitate to provide them, but you have been very generous in responding to my posts, so I thought you should know I very often look at your stuff and enjoy it quietly.

BTW, I quickly glanced at your tag line and thought it read: What's important in photography is what isn't. I must need a nap. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:11 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I've been enjoying a Chromebook (Google's own operating system) for a couple of years now: ease of online viewing and searches, forum participation, banking, library, email and so forth. Great to not worry about virus protection or Windows updates that always seemed to change a preference!

I've been hoping the apps for photo editing would become more robust, but I suspect they will never become anything close to Photoshop, or even PS Elements like I have on my Win 8 laptop - along with Nik and a couple of Topaz filters.

But I've found a Chromebook app that will do basic edits of raw files (including a radial and a gradiant filter for selection edits) - called Polarr. And another with a very nice clone tool + layers. The drawback with their layers option is there is no "soft light" blend mode - the one I use most! - or masking (that I can find, so far). That editor is called befunky.

At any rate, the attached is result of those two editors. I think Chuck is the only active member on this site who has a Chromebook, but if there are others lurking, please ID yourself and let's talk :) THANK YOU!

That's a pretty good outcome for an online editor. Have you tried to accomplish the same with your "regular' tools to compare the final results? Nice simple shot on the surface but with details of all kinds lurking in the shadows.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm

minniev wrote:That's a pretty good outcome for an online editor. Have you tried to accomplish the same with your "regular' tools to compare the final results? Nice simple shot on the surface but with details of all kinds lurking in the shadows.

LOL, I knew someone would bring up the obvious: "yeah, but how does it compare?" :D

I need to find an image with trickier lighting to do the comparison + I'm curious if Polarr is actually dealing with the raw file or the embedded jpg. I'll look in my files for something that make the exercise worthwhile. But, similar to using a 2x in-camera digital zoom from the Olympus vs. editing the raw and then cropping significantly, some will depend on the editor's abilities, some on the subject and light, and some on how much one is willing to accept as "good enough."

I learned a ton (relatively speaking) about editing over two years, then kind of leveled off as far as interest in tackling the really tough stuff, and now find I can't spend a huge amount of time staring at a computer screen (even though doc said issue is not - yet - cataracts). So, I'm convincing myself that I'm going to be OK (happy) with less robust editors.

Bet you're sorry you asked! :D

Thank you so much for your time, Minnie!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I am amazed at the range of your talent and subjects. I would not have expected this type of muted expression from you, yet there it is. I don't like it as much as your other work; as I try to decipher my reaction, I suspect it lacks punch for me even though that may be what you intended. The image reminds me of the fading of summer and, by extension, the impermanence of things. The blurring effect gives the image a lazy look, again, intentional I am sure. Disregard all this; my critiques are very unsophisticated and I often hesitate to provide them, but you have been very generous in responding to my posts, so I thought you should know I very often look at your stuff and enjoy it quietly.

BTW, I quickly glanced at your tag line and thought it read: What's important in photography is what isn't. I must need a nap. Matt

I can well relate to needing a nap, Matt :) Thanks so much for your lovely comments and interest. I think any sincere interest and feedback is a gift and to know you enjoy a photo of mine here and there is greatly appreciated!

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I've been enjoying a Chromebook (Google's own operating system) for a couple of years now: ease of online viewing and searches, forum participation, banking, library, email and so forth. Great to not worry about virus protection or Windows updates that always seemed to change a preference!

I can't help you with any knowledge concerning Chromebook as I'm not familiar with it, but do agree with Minnie's suggestion for comparison with your known tools/software.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 am

First, I love the picture. Regardless how it was processed, I find it beautiful and evocative, restful and a little mysterious. Having spent (far too much) time in hospital waiting rooms not long ago I often see pictures that I know would sell to whoever puts the big wall prints in such rooms. This picture has that calming effect.

As has been observed by everyone else, however, the great question in this specific case is whether the online editor on a Chromebook stands comparison with a, what? "Conventional" editor? I do use a Chromebook and I have tried an online editor or two, but ultimately I lack confidence in such. My Chromebook has a wonderfully high-rez screen with excellent color but it can't be calibrated. I judge by comparison with my desktop monitors (I now use two), which are calibrated monthly. I don't like trying to edit on only a single 13.5" screen, no matter how sharp, and I don't have the patience to try to get comfortable with an online editor. I'm just too addicted now to Lightroom + Photoshop, but I otherwise love a Chromebook for all the reasons Linda noted so I'm unlikely to get into a Windows or Mac laptop. All that said, I wouldn't mind a bit if it was easy and accurate to edit raw on a Chromebook. Personally what I'd really love would be if Adobe made a version of Lightroom CC that would run on my Chromebook! :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:17 am

davechinn wrote:I can't help you with any knowledge concerning Chromebook as I'm not familiar with it, but do agree with Minnie's suggestion for comparison with your known tools/software.
Dave

Thanks, Dave. That is the logical route. Now if I can find the energy :)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 am

Charles Haacker wrote:First, I love the picture. Regardless how it was processed, I find it beautiful and evocative, restful and a little mysterious. Having spent (far too much) time in hospital waiting rooms not long ago I often see pictures that I know would sell to whoever puts the big wall prints in such rooms. This picture has that calming effect.

As has been observed by everyone else, however, the great question in this specific case is whether the online editor on a Chromebook stands comparison with a, what? "Conventional" editor? I do use a Chromebook and I have tried an online editor or two, but ultimately I lack confidence in such. My Chromebook has a wonderfully high-rez screen with excellent color but it can't be calibrated. I judge by comparison with my desktop monitors (I now use two), which are calibrated monthly. I don't like trying to edit on only a single 13.5" screen, no matter how sharp, and I don't have the patience to try to get comfortable with an online editor. I'm just too addicted now to Lightroom + Photoshop, but I otherwise love a Chromebook for all the reasons Linda noted so I'm unlikely to get into a Windows or Mac laptop. All that said, I wouldn't mind a bit if it was easy and accurate to edit raw on a Chromebook. Personally what I'd really love would be if Adobe made a version of Lightroom CC that would run on my Chromebook! :D

So glad you enjoyed the image, Chuck! Good point about 13.3" not being the best place to examine an image when editing + the calibration issue, regardless of software using. On the other hand, if the audience is only using a tablet or phone to view online... :D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 am

LindaShorey wrote:...

Have you tried Snapseed? It's an amazing photo editing app and my go to for cell phone photos!

As for the photo, I love it, but wonder if you have thought to crop in more giving the leaf a better chance to steal the show? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"