"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseA Mini Zinni

Images of plants and flowers; trees, bushes, leaves, fungi, lichen, fruits & vegetables
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

A Mini Zinni

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 am

I've been back pretty deep in the hole for a coupl'a days, but this afternoon after a thundershower I noticed this growing in a pot on our little patio. My daughter-in-law wants a real house so she can garden but meanwhile she does what she can in containers. This is the only one blooming right now, a miniature zinnia the size of a quarter. I saw it, went to get my Sony, and made this. I think f/3.5 was a tish too wide but I still like it, if for no other reason than it got me feeling pretty good for a while. :|
DSC07062.EM.jpg
This thing can be covered with a U.S. Quarter dollar, so f/3.5 was a little too wide for adequate DOF on the flower. Leaves in the background look nice, tho. Sony RX10, ƒ/3.5 73.3 mm 1/320 sec, ISO 125, hand held, minimally processed in Lightroom only.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A Mini Zinni

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 am

I reflexively want to put single round subjects into square formats, but your background is such a lovely part of this composition, Chuck. There's a really nice flow to the blacks and greens; I wouldn't shave off a pixel. I love your MinnieZ! ...rotfl at my own cleverness
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:00 pm

I like that center detail and color contrasting with the rest.

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby rmalarz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I like the contrast of color and the DOF.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like that center detail and color contrasting with the rest.
Thanks, Piet!
LindaShorey wrote:I reflexively want to put single round subjects into square formats, but your background is such a lovely part of this composition, Chuck. There's a really nice flow to the blacks and greens; I wouldn't shave off a pixel. I love your MinnieZ! ...rotfl at my own cleverness
;) Thanks, Linda. I originally had the leaves much brighter since they're in the same light, but I decided to try pulling the shadow slider all the way down to darken them and liked the effect. I also added a little dark vignette. I wanted to see the leaves and the stem but not to dominate.
rmalarz wrote:I like the contrast of color and the DOF.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob. My one regret is that I didn't try a few stopped to f/4.5 and maybe even 5.6. That's a very small flower and getting in that tight there was even less DOF than I anticipated. I'd prefer it a little sharper overall but it's a learning experience.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:17 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I've been back pretty deep in the hole for a coupl'a days, but this afternoon after a thundershower I noticed this growing in a pot on our little patio. My daughter-in-law wants a real house so she can garden but meanwhile she does what she can in containers. This is the only one blooming right now, a miniature zinnia the size of a quarter. I saw it, went to get my Sony, and made this. I think f/3.5 was a tish too wide but I still like it, if for no other reason than it got me feeling pretty good for a while. :|

I see this as a postcard or hotel wall art. Well done and thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:17 am

LindaShorey wrote:... I wouldn't shave off a pixel. I love your MinnieZ! ...rotfl at my own cleverness

LAF

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:04 pm

St3v3M wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:... I wouldn't shave off a pixel. I love your MinnieZ! ...rotfl at my own cleverness

LAF
Yeah, I caught that too. Wonder if Minnie did. :)
St3v3M wrote:I see this as a postcard or hotel wall art. Well done and thank you! S-

Thanks, Steve. I caught an article on Microstock the other day and find myself toying with the idea, especially since I am poor (but I absolutely understand that I ain't makin' no $500 a month, not to start certainly).

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve. I caught an article on Microstock the other day and find myself toying with the idea, especially since I am poor (but I absolutely understand that I ain't makin' no $500 a month, not to start certainly).

I'm intrigued by the idea too even if to just push my skills. Thank you for this! S-

Return to “Flowers & Plants Showcase”