“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's Showcase"The Territorial Imperative"

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

"The Territorial Imperative"

Postby uuglypher » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:43 pm

"Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora."(from the description of this section)

IMO this statement is too restrictive, and, because lichen ("lichens" is also an accepted plural designation) are often mistaken for plants, I shall, absent objection, post occasional images of lichen here.

The rocks upon which these colorful lichens grow are "glacial erratics". Boulders scraped up from the Canadian shield or further north and carried south by the last glacial expansion. Those boulders from the far north were left on the floor of a scraped valley in what is now Harding County , South Dakota, when that last (for now) glacier melted and receded to the North some 10,000 to 11,000 years ago...give or take a millennium. The newly exposed boulders quickly became substrate for lichen colonization. Lichen of different sorts have since then been competing for territory on the boulders' exposed surfaces. For a time the ancestors of these very lichen served as food for the reindeer of the tundra that followed the receding glacier northward. The lichen's processes of invasion, defeat of the locals, colonization, and later succumbing to being locally invaded by another neighboring colony on the boulder is an incredibly accurate recapitulation of the history of expansion, migration, invasion, and re-settlement of different sub populations of our own species in and from Africa, where we evolved, to ultimately cover the rest of the Earth save for Antarctica.

Lichen are far older than our species. They are symbionts - fungal organisms containing different sorts of algae and/or cyanobacteria...the latter being among the earliest forms of cellular life to have appeared on our planet.

And, to my eye, many lichen rightly take their place as things of beauty right alongside any flower blossom one might place in competition.

Egad....did I get carried away? Guess so....

Presenting: a few scenes from a multi-act, continuing lichen performance entitled: "The Territorial Imperative"
IMG_8599.JPG
IMG_8600.JPG
IMG_8601.JPG

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: "The Territorial Imperative"

Postby minniev » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:28 am

Interesting images of the nature abstract variety, but they could be landscapes seen from the sky as easily as they could be lichens. Sometimes I want to see a clue as to scale but I kinda like these as they are, with their necessary nystery.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 am

uuglypher wrote:"Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora."(from the description of this section)

IMO this statement is too restrictive, and, because lichen ("lichens" is also an accepted plural designation) are often mistaken for plants, I shall, absent objection, post occasional images of lichen here.

Sorry, it's hard to be all inclusive when you only have two lines of text to get an idea out. :D

But, yes, lichen (and mosses), algae (and other cyanobacteria), fungi and other non-animal composite organisms are welcomed here. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:18 am

uuglypher wrote:"Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora."(from the description of this section)

I've learned so much here I wanted to learn more! Lichen

The image reminds me of something from another world and has so many stories to tell! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 am

Soil factory. Hard hat required. (And incidentally, nature IS red in tooth and claw. Time lapse studies have shown that some plants physically attack competing plants. It just happens so slowly that we cannot perceive it.) :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Flowers & Plants”