"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseWild Prairie Rose with Virginia Bluebell (I Think)

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Wild Prairie Rose with Virginia Bluebell (I Think)

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I was out for a brief walk a couple of days ago (driven back in by the heat), but I espied these as I walked out of the complex and had to make 'em. They are, of course, in full sun but I have never let that stop me. I love flowers; any flower, any time, anywhere. (Sony RX10, ƒ/5.6, Various focal lengths, 1/500 ISO 125 hand-held bright sun).
DSC05827.EM.jpg
Got in tight on this bunch because I liked the bluebells intruding on the roses.
DSC05823.EM.jpg
I suppose it's arguable that there's too much contrast, which is why the "rule" is not to shoot flowers in full sun. I think some folks carry a white umbrella to make artificial overcast for shots like this, but trying to hold a 2-pound camera steady one handed while waving a bumbershoot around with the other...? Nah.
DSC05830.EM.jpg
This is where I found them. I turned back as I strolled away and decided to do the kind of shot I'd have done if I had the assignment to cover the complex for a brochure.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Wild Prairie Rose with Virginia Bluebell (I Think)

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:29 pm

The compositions are lovely, Chuck! I think having the darker leaves and flowers surrounding the roses works very well for the lighting conditions. Also maybe because we're looking at smaller, multiple subjects. Did you do any darkening, vignetting around? Nik Color Efex has a filter called darken/lighten something-something (not at my laptop, lol). You have much control with the opacity and placement of the dark, as well as lightening a certain area. Yeah, I know that can all be done with other pp as well, but I am very spoiled by my Nik filters. Even though I've learned to control them (I never do a one-click anymore), I still appreciate the ease of having someone else start the process :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Beautiful flowers, captured in fine detail with all their rich velvety colors in spite of the harsh sun. You can possibly mitigate some of the contrast if you want, in PP, either with the plugins Linda suggests or with PS, which is endless in its ability to make stuff happen. You have a nice realistic image but like all nice images, these flowers carry the potential to become something else if you decide you wanta pursue it. The fun is: they're YOUR flowers now!

(I don't ever shy away from taking pictures no matter what the weather doles out for me).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The compositions are lovely, Chuck! I think having the darker leaves and flowers surrounding the roses works very well for the lighting conditions. Also maybe because we're looking at smaller, multiple subjects. Did you do any darkening, vignetting around? Nik Color Efex has a filter called darken/lighten something-something (not at my laptop, lol). You have much control with the opacity and placement of the dark, as well as lightening a certain area. Yeah, I know that can all be done with other pp as well, but I am very spoiled by my Nik filters. Even though I've learned to control them (I never do a one-click anymore), I still appreciate the ease of having someone else start the process :)

I've really gotta learn Nik, but I'm an old wet-darkroom guy so I'm very comfortable with dodging and burning and such, and I LOVE lovelovelove the graduated and radial filters in Lightroom. That's how all three of these were modified, plus vignetting which is just the radial filter in a kindofa one click, but it's somewhat adjustable. I use the radial when it needs to be way off center or when I want to adjust sharpening or other things (the vignette only darkens or lightens), and the radial and graduated filters can be used in groups. On the shot of the sign I pulled graduated filters down from the top and up from the bottom. I softened the sharpening a little in both. But yeah, I gotta learn Nik.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:07 pm

minniev wrote:Beautiful flowers, captured in fine detail with all their rich velvety colors in spite of the harsh sun. You can possibly mitigate some of the contrast if you want, in PP, either with the plugins Linda suggests or with PS, which is endless in its ability to make stuff happen. You have a nice realistic image but like all nice images, these flowers carry the potential to become something else if you decide you wanta pursue it. The fun is: they're YOUR flowers now!

(I don't ever shy away from taking pictures no matter what the weather doles out for me).

Thanks, Min. I "printed" these to keep focus on the pink roses, so I maaaaaybe overdid it on the vignette &c. They are pretty contrasty, but I'm always careful to insure that nothing is blocked on either end. On the first two I also used the HSL sliders to up the saturation quite a bit on the bluebells because I was darkening them down rather a lot so they wouldn't compete for attention with the roses, but I also didn't want them to disappear.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:25 am

These are lovely and it's been fun to listen in on the conversation here. Thank you everyone! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Flowers & Plants”