"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseA Boring Weed Made Better I Hope

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A Boring Weed Made Better I Hope

Postby St3v3M » Sun May 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Out of curiosity only I dropped in on Other Forums yesterday and saw a Raging Argument about the Hull Thing, jpeg v. raw, PP v. SOOC, yada ad infinitum ad nauseam. My take is based on my background. I was trained that real photographers can print. I (probably to my own detriment I know) spent at least as much time in the darkroom as I did making the negatives in the first place. But when I went digital it was only natural that I should post process. A picture wasn't finished until it was tweaked. On the other hand, I understand that many folks do not want to spend their finite time in either Darkroom or Lightroom (see what I did there?). What I really don't understand is the passion for a position. I love to post process. Someone else hates it. Different strokes. Yet every time the subject comes up (in the recent case in Other Forums it was brought up deliberately by a known agitator) the rocks and bottles start flying.

IF YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING RAW YOU ARE A PHILISTINE! :x
IF YOU CAN'T GET IT RIGHT IN THE CAMERA YOU ARE LAZY AND CANNOT CALL YOURSELF A PHOTOGRAPHER!! :devil:
What up with that? :|

I've always tried to take the best image I could and was proud to think it could be straight out of the camera, but even then I would use something like Picasa to color correct my raw images and didn't think anything of it. I knew the power of post processing but wasn't a fan wanting to jump head first into the digital darkroom. Maybe I thought if I was spending my time processing I wasn't shooting so while I knew it was good it wasn't for me. Flash forward and I came across an image with texture and that changed everything. It was like my eyes were open for the very first time and I wanted more.

Looking back I remember a lesson I learned in school if you every hear someone say always or never run the other way. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 am

Didereaux wrote:What most of the neophyte experts forget is the reason why the high end magazines(what there is left of them) want you to shoot RAW. It gives them a proof that the shot was not manipulated in any manner other than by standard darkroom procedures. There are legal factors involved for them, and the photographer always has available an unblemished original on which to do anything they wish immediately or over time. It also assures that you can produce a file that can be printed to its maximum potential, something a compressed file cannot do since it is inherently degraded in the compressing.

Personally I do not care what others do, they can process snapshots into outrageous neon cartoons if they wish, but I draw the line when they try and tell me that doing so from an already degraded original is showing the image at its best.

Now as far as taking the best SOOC I have to agree that if you are going to try and be something other than mediocre you have to be able to produce excellence in the camera, if you cannot do it there then how can you possibly know what to do in post to achieve it? Is it necessary to always produce a super high quality shot SOOC? Not only is it not necessary it is is flat impossible in many circumstances,,,you take and get the best you can under the circumstances. But that illustrates again the need for knowing! If you do not know how to produce the best then you cannot know whether the present shot is the best possible in that circumstance.

All of this simply points out, and highlights the fact that the less someone knows the more apt they are to hold rigid unfounded beliefs. How many times must it be said that photography is a compromise!

"Photography is a compromise!" And it is a journey. If I have learned nothing else, I hope I have learned that I have much yet to learn. I liked to kid myself that nobody could print my stuff like I could print my stuff. Now I come across some of my old stuff and wonder what I was thinking. The same is true or truer in digital. It's why I'm glad that I pretty much never throw anything away, and why even working in jpegs I'm glad I figured out early to always retain an untouched SOOC original because now I can go back and improve because I have improved, and the tools have improved. I'm still trying to get past a life-changing blow but I hope I can eventually get back to getting serious about photography. I know I'm past my sell-by so I better try to quit wasting time.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 22, 2017 1:51 am

St3v3M wrote:That's amazing, and look at the color of the water! I might try that just to see where it leads. Thank you for sharing this trick! S-

Yeah, the water did come out an interesting teal, didn't it? I still should go back and brush some of the blue out of the walk because that's a dead giveaway.
St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote: ... IF YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING RAW YOU ARE A PHILISTINE! :x
IF YOU CAN'T GET IT RIGHT IN THE CAMERA YOU ARE LAZY AND CANNOT CALL YOURSELF A PHOTOGRAPHER!! :devil:
What up with that? :|

I've always tried to take the best image I could and was proud to think it could be straight out of the camera, but even then I would use something like Picasa to color correct my raw images and didn't think anything of it. I knew the power of post processing but wasn't a fan wanting to jump head first into the digital darkroom. Maybe I thought if I was spending my time processing I wasn't shooting so while I knew it was good it wasn't for me. Flash forward and I came across an image with texture and that changed everything. It was like my eyes were open for the very first time and I wanted more.

Looking back I remember a lesson I learned in school if you every hear someone say always or never run the other way. S-

Yes! Yesyesyes! It may be said that rigid orthodoxy in pretty much all things is a good deal of what's wrong with the hull world! :S
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 am

Charles Haacker wrote:"Photography is a compromise!" And it is a journey. If I have learned nothing else, I hope I have learned that I have much yet to learn. I liked to kid myself that nobody could print my stuff like I could print my stuff. Now I come across some of my old stuff and wonder what I was thinking. The same is true or truer in digital. It's why I'm glad that I pretty much never throw anything away, and why even working in jpegs I'm glad I figured out early to always retain an untouched SOOC original because now I can go back and improve because I have improved, and the tools have improved. I'm still trying to get past a life-changing blow but I hope I can eventually get back to getting serious about photography. I know I'm past my sell-by so I better try to quit wasting time.

Wise words my friend, wise words! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Yeah, the water did come out an interesting teal, didn't it? I still should go back and brush some of the blue out of the walk because that's a dead giveaway.

Work the walkway, but leave the water and see what you think! S-

Return to “Flowers & Plants”