"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseBack Light in the Fall

Images of plants and flowers; trees, bushes, leaves, fungi, lichen, fruits & vegetables
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Back Light in the Fall

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 am

We both loved the fall. Winter, not so much, but fall, the color, the cool, the fewer to no bugs :D ...We had favorite places that we liked to walk, places with names like Pheasant Branch, Picnic Point, Cherokee Marsh, and too many others to recall. Of course, everywhere we went after 2007 I carried a digital camera. These were both made in late October, 2011, with my Nikon P7000. The originals were still jpegs as I didn't get into raw until early 2015, but I ain't no purist. I doubt that these would look a lot different if the originals had been raw captures. These have been reedited from the original SOOC jpegs in Lightroom only. I mostly was always careful never to overexpose an important highlight. I still am.
DSCN0393.EM.jpg
"There is no light--Like Back Light." I love it on leaves because it picks out all the veins and highlights the color. It rim lights and shines right through the berries, making them glow. This is a "200 mm macro." I would put the camera in macro mode and zoom in, which is what made for the relatively nice bokeh for a small-sensor camera. I was always surprised at the number of people who did not know you could even do this. Nikon P7000, ƒ/7.1 42.6 mm 1/227 ISO 100
DSCN0361.EM.jpg
This has always been one of my favorites. It was made just a few days away from the berries, using the same "200 mm macro" technique.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Back Light in the Fall

Postby Didereaux » Tue May 16, 2017 9:43 am

yep, #1 I can see that hanging as an accent piece in a model home somewhere. (that's a compliment) ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:42 am

#1 is super-yummy, Chuck! I also like it with a trim off the top (most of what's darker), guess more pano aspect. Backlighting is my favorite, too, and autumn seems to suit more than any other season.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Didereaux wrote:yep, #1 I can see that hanging as an accent piece in a model home somewhere. (that's a compliment) ;)
Thank you! I knowed it was a compliment. :D
LindaShorey wrote:#1 is super-yummy, Chuck! I also like it with a trim off the top (most of what's darker), guess more pano aspect. Backlighting is my favorite, too, and autumn seems to suit more than any other season.

I never considered a crop to a pano. I have a collection of stuff I've cropped to 16:9 that I use for rotating wallpaper on my desktop computer. Cropped, that one could join the club! Thanks! :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Backlight through a forest is my favorite kind of light, but those berries are making me look again and again!

These are beautiful and I hope you have more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Flowers & Plants Showcase”