“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseDead Stuff

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Dead Stuff

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I am still going back through old files, "Revisiting Oldies" I calls it. Almost all of the stuff I am looking at are jpegs that I've posted before, but these are new-made from never-worked originals because I learned early to always keep an untouched original SOOC jpeg as a "negative" that I could rework as my tools and skills evolved. I always did a "save as" from Photoshop Elements so I can go back as often as I like, and being jpegs they are not massive disc hogs, and now with non-destructive Lightroom I don't even have to save a separate file. WooHoo.

These three were made with a Nikon Coolpix (gosh I hate that stupid name!) P5000, only my second ever digicam, a more sophisticated pocket P&S that offered manual control but still output only jpegs, but I was happy enough with only jpegs for some time. Daphne and I were frequent and enthusiastic walkers, and we went when and where we felt like it, often strolling favorite haunts in late fall or early spring.
This one is the oldest of this set, made in October of 2008 on a fall stroll. I was captivated by the brilliant red leaf, newly fallen. It is (ahemmm) not impossible that some shall-we-say enhancement has been made here. P5000, ƒ/5.3, 26.3 mm 1/60 ISO 400, Lightroom only:
DSCN1418.EM.jpg

This next one was made a year later, October 2009. It is not as sharp as I'd like but I've always loved the backlit color (There Is No Light Like Back Light :) ). P5000, ƒ/4.4, 12.9 mm 1/180 ISO 100. Lightroom + Photoshop (to remove an offending distraction).
DSCN4169-Edit.EM.jpg

Finally, a couple of days after the Sumac we took another stroll in the dead zone and found this, backlit once again. I've always titled this one Death in the Afternoon. :rofl: (Weird sense of humor, that one...) P5000, ƒ/4.3, 18.6 mm, 1/100, ISO 64, Lightroom only.
DSCN4190.EM.jpg
(I like the spider lines...)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dead Stuff

Postby minniev » Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Nice series Chuck. I have so many oldies that i wish I could reshoot with my current knowledge and equipment, but second best is redoing them in LR or PS. Love that last one, with all that cool detail. One tip from an old hand at Oldies and their unique qualities, that first one might be worth fooling with the reds on (either in the HSL with more and less saturation and lowered luminance) or in the red channel or some other tool. My old coolpix (yah, silly name) did similar with reds. Love LR and PS!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm

minniev wrote:Nice series Chuck. I have so many oldies that i wish I could reshoot with my current knowledge and equipment, but second best is redoing them in LR or PS. Love that last one, with all that cool detail. One tip from an old hand at Oldies and their unique qualities, that first one might be worth fooling with the reds on (either in the HSL with more and less saturation and lowered luminance) or in the red channel or some other tool. My old coolpix (yah, silly name) did similar with reds. Love LR and PS!

Hi, Min! And thanks! But I did up the saturation in that red leaf using HSL. Did I overdo it? I try to be subtle but the original version of that was more blah which was why I decided to redo it. I upped the saturation some (not sure how much), and I also put a radial filter on it and reduced the exposure on the other debris so that leaf (which was what caught my eye originally) would stand out more. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Being able to go back and re-edit older pictures is one of the great things about digital. I have a sort of rolling programme where I reappraise stuff that is two to three years old.
Graham

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm

I am going to presume that first was done on an overcast day. One thing that makes me think that is the lack of 'sparkles' from direct sunlight, and just as importantly the abundance 9overly so) of purple and magenta. Once I set the black and white ends of the histogram (by holding alt key down and sliding until something just appears. Left for black, right for white) then I will go to the HSL window and start dropping the saturation of the purple and magenta(if it is cloudy ) when de-saturated to the acceptable point I then start increasing the luminance of both. You will be amazed at what that does to the picture. Give it a try on those cloudy/overcast day shots. Only after all that will I adjust the shadows and highlights, all this supposing that the exposure was more or less correct to begin with, otherwise you try to get it in the ballpark first.

In the case of overly bright blue skies you can do this with the blue, as well as the magenta and purple, although with a lighter touch all around.

If you have bright green predominating and overpowering your subject (think little birds buried in the bushes then simply decrease both yellow and green luminance to bring out all other colors selectively without messing with the overall exposure.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 am

Graham Smith wrote:Being able to go back and re-edit older pictures is one of the great things about digital. I have a sort of rolling programme where I reappraise stuff that is two to three years old.

Thank you, Graham. I look through my older stuff on Flickr and find things that no longer look as good as I once thought they did. It's a real pleasure to be able to go back and do it over.
Didereaux wrote:I am going to presume that first was done on an overcast day. One thing that makes me think that is the lack of 'sparkles' from direct sunlight, and just as importantly the abundance 9overly so) of purple and magenta. Once I set the black and white ends of the histogram (by holding alt key down and sliding until something just appears. Left for black, right for white) then I will go to the HSL window and start dropping the saturation of the purple and magenta(if it is cloudy ) when de-saturated to the acceptable point I then start increasing the luminance of both. You will be amazed at what that does to the picture. Give it a try on those cloudy/overcast day shots. Only after all that will I adjust the shadows and highlights, all this supposing that the exposure was more or less correct to begin with, otherwise you try to get it in the ballpark first.

In the case of overly bright blue skies you can do this with the blue, as well as the magenta and purple, although with a lighter touch all around.

If you have bright green predominating and overpowering your subject (think little birds buried in the bushes then simply decrease both yellow and green luminance to bring out all other colors selectively without messing with the overall exposure.

Thanks, Monte! That first one was done on a path in the wood, so it was well shaded. I may have gone too far with it. The original exposure was correct for the light and the subject, and I set the black and white points as you do, usually almost the first things I do. The thing is, though, I Iove it this way, although it's funny because I don't generally care for what I sometimes call "overcooked," like HDR that you can tell instantly is HDR. I will go back and take the original back to zero and post it. It's always struck me as flat, probably owing to the lack of light under the canopy. I've been playing with it ever since I made it to try to get it to look like I "remember" it, which (of course) is not accurate, just how we saw something. Let me get back to ya. :)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I still like my latest redo better than any previous ones, even though it may well be oversaturated or "overcooked" as I often call it. :D But this morning I am essaying to play some more with it. There is a description beneath each picture. :cheers:

Whoa! I just discovered something that may be common knowledge but if it isn't, it's yuge! Well, not yuge maybe but... IF you RIGHT CLICK on any of the posted images and select OPEN IN NEW TAB, you can open (as I just did a minute ago) any or all of the images each in its own tab. Then you can (as I just did a minute ago) toggle among them, and even click to enlarge them. I opened the leaves from the OP, then the zeroed version from my last post (#2), and the modified version (#3). If ever'body already knows this, well, I didn't. :S
Attachments
Leaves Lightroom.JPG
This is the screenshot of the original 2008 file up in Lightroom. This has been restored, zeroed out to its straight-out-of-camera condition, no additional nuthin' applied. I think the exposure was nailed as shown by the histogram. There is one small highlight clipping indicator showing that I would normally take down.
DSCN1418.EM-3.jpg
This is that zeroed-out file for side-by-side comparison with the version in the original post. To me the untouched file looks just okay, but relatively flat and literally lifeless. Way back in 2008 I took it into Photoshop Elements 2.0 and upped the saturation, but I seem no longer to have an example of that early version.
DSCN1418.EM-2.jpg
Because the originally posted version may have been a tad overcooked (I don't think so, I like it) I went back to it and globally reduced the vibrance back to zero. In a radial filter I had cut the exposure on the surrounding leaves a stop, so for this version I also reduced the saturation of the surrounding leaves -50. My goal from tripping the shutter has always been to make that single red leaf the star. :)

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Tue May 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Okay, now that I see them together...I agree with you the OP 'over cooked' does look better! :cheers:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Didereaux wrote:Okay, now that I see them together...I agree with you the OP 'over cooked' does look better! :cheers:

:D Except now I am liking the last one, with the desaturated surrounding leaves. That also has its global vibrance cut back to zero, a very small difference but it's there. It's all judgment call, of course, and I think I said somewhere that I am not a fan of an overcooked look unless I do something like posterization. For me, now, toggling between the original post and the last revision I am liking the last revision more and more. The red leaf is just a tad less bright than it was, but taking down the surrounding litter I think makes it pop more without being too much. But that's now. :| :lol:

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Tue May 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Okay, now that I see them together...I agree with you the OP 'over cooked' does look better! :cheers:

:D Except now I am liking the last one, with the desaturated surrounding leaves. That also has its global vibrance cut back to zero, a very small difference but it's there. It's all judgment call, of course, and I think I said somewhere that I am not a fan of an overcooked look unless I do something like posterization. For me, now, toggling between the original post and the last revision I am liking the last revision more and more. The red leaf is just a tad less bright than it was, but taking down the surrounding litter I think makes it pop more without being too much. But that's now. :| :lol:

Ok, ya going to be that way about it lets settle this like grownups over a beer and arm wrestle for it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Flowers & Plants”