"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseThe Secrets of Flowers

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Secrets of Flowers

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:06 pm
As everyone knows, I'm prone to keep everything in the frame even when I shouldn't. I agree he may not be clear enough and if he were they wouldn't be, so everything is a bit compromised. I don't think it's a spider, I've just called them OtherBugs. I've seen what I think is the same ones on these very same flowers (same type, same location), and I've never been able to identify them.. I think this is a more mature version from 2 summers ago.
I am pretty sure that whatcha got there is a Acanthocephala declivis nymph, a nymph of the Coreidae, or Leaf-footed Bugs. They are harmless to humans, mostly feed on plants. http://www.austinbug.com/coreidae.html Your bug is the 5th picture down, or you can see lots of them here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Acantho ... 96&bih=703
Thanks Chuck. I ran across some leaf bugs a couple of days ago on a science site, and though they didn't look exactly like this, there were similarities. I think you nailed it!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:39 pm
What the heck is going on here? I was trying a side angle to these black eyed susans, which were rattier than most I've seen for so early in the season. I spotted the odd fellow on top and sought to include him in some degree of sharpness while still getting the flower.

Of course, with my not-so-great near vision I missed the army traveling in formation below. What are they all up to? Are they related or interdependent or just different kinds of travelers out for a picnic?

And most of all, how would stuff like this be best photographed? What/who should be in focus and who not? What angle?
I'm not exactly asking for critique because I know the photo is not much to work with, but for future reference, when you have an entire community living on a plant, what then?
They look like aphids and they don't seem concerned by the spider. Neat shot! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"