"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseSunflower Triptych

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Sunflower Triptych

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Maybe not a true triptych, but I find it nearly impossible to pass by a flower without stopping to at least consider photographing it. Some of the artistry here on PhotoMENTORIS is so awesome as to be mildly intimidating, but I loves what I loves and there y'go. :| :lol:
Attachments
DSC08667.EMlr.jpg
I considered long on this whether to crop this square from left to exclude the past-peak flower, but my thinking was (hopefully not too morbidly) that life is ephemeral and death comes to all. Maybe I like flowers so much because they also represent the renewal and tenacity of life. That vigorous main subject will fade and wilt, but its seeds will sprout anew next year.

Made at Lake McConaughy in thin overcast.
DSC08684.EMlr.jpg
One of the things I liked about shooting here was the background of crushed rock. I liked the color contrast. I think the lake level is pretty low right now, being late in the season, and these sunflowers are happily growing on what is normally lake bottom at full pool.

Made at Lake McConaughy in thin overcast.
DSC08077.EMlr.jpg
8,500 feet, FULL sun. This one is in Colorado on a walkabout. All by itself somehow, standing nearly as tall as me in the glare of the full unfiltered sun. How could I not? I had to be careful not to drop my own shadow on it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Sunflower Triptych

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Very cheerful! The light gray, rocky background makes a nice contrast.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Maybe not a true triptych, but I find it nearly impossible to pass by a flower without stopping to at least consider photographing it. Some of the artistry here on PhotoMENTORIS is so awesome as to be mildly intimidating, but I loves what I loves and there y'go. :| :lol:

Chuck, Agree: stuff on pM is awesome and intimidating indeed. And I share your yielding to the beauty around and abounding. These are indeed happy faces. Nicely done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 am

LindaShorey wrote:Very cheerful! The light gray, rocky background makes a nice contrast.
Thanks, Linda. I was very attracted to that. Also, as I grow more and more accustomed to the RX-10 I find I have greater control over DOF and bokeh. I didn't think a mirrorless had a DOF preview, and maybe they do or not all do or something, but the RX-10, in live view all the time, I realized that as I open and close the aperture while watching in the EVF, I can see the DOF changing, although the brightness does not! In my old film SLR's (and DSLR's as well I expect) when you press the DOF preview lever it stops the lens down to working aperture, making the viewfinder more or less dark. Sure you can see the DOF... if you can see anything! :rofl:
Matt Quinn wrote:Chuck, Agree: stuff on pM is awesome and intimidating indeed. And I share your yielding to the beauty around and abounding. These are indeed happy faces. Nicely done. Matt
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, I just shoot what I like the way I like, but sometimes I feel that I am no more than a competent mechanic. :oops:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Lovely sunflowers, Chuck. If I had to pick a fave, it would be the middle one, with her slightly downcast face and just the right amount of contextual background to suit my personal taste. I agree that it is hard to walk by a flower, no matter how small or humble, without taking note, and if the camera's available. keeping a record of that fleeting beauty.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:09 pm

The simple things...nice Chuck.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:55 pm

minniev wrote:Lovely sunflowers, Chuck. If I had to pick a fave, it would be the middle one, with her slightly downcast face and just the right amount of contextual background to suit my personal taste. I agree that it is hard to walk by a flower, no matter how small or humble, without taking note, and if the camera's available. keeping a record of that fleeting beauty.
Thanks, Min. That middle one is my favorite too, so much so that I am using it as the wallpaper behind my GMail. I got to philosophizing and suspect that humans have something in common with flowers: we come in all conceivable colors and each of us is unique in some way.
Psjunkie wrote:The simple things...nice Chuck.
Thanks, Frank. I would never dare to compare, but Van Gogh painted so many sunflowers that he inspired other artists. I've photographed so many flowers since going digitally mad in 2007 that they have their own continually growing album on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/43619751@N06/kPdKyz

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:28 am

There are times I think WOW, but more so, will I ever be that good and it inspires me to try harder, look deeper, and break all the rules. It can be daunting at times to see the images here, but I try to use them as a learning opportunity and find inspiration in each and every one of them. We all find our way!

I love the second the most. The other two are good, but I think it's the complimentary colors that really do it for me. Thank you for sharing these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:There are times I think WOW, but more so, will I ever be that good and it inspires me to try harder, look deeper, and break all the rules. It can be daunting at times to see the images here, but I try to use them as a learning opportunity and find inspiration in each and every one of them. We all find our way!

I love the second the most. The other two are good, but I think it's the complimentary colors that really do it for me. Thank you for sharing these! S-

Thanks, Steve! I like that second one best, too. For Pete's sake, I hope you're never "daunted" by anything I do! I'm just a fairly skilled mechanic. :thanks:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve! I like that second one best, too. For Pete's sake, I hope you're never "daunted" by anything I do! I'm just a fairly skilled mechanic. :thanks:

We all learn from one another, and you'd be surprised that the smallest difference can make the biggest influence. You keep being a mechanic!!! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Flowers & Plants”