Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Open ChallengesCarlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Want to challenge fellow members? Post your challenge here.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Post by PietFrancke »

I was cold and depressed so I took a soak in the tub and read chapter three again and decided to practice some of the principles in a simple image to see what would happen.

Sky lighter than ground. Ground lighter than pole. The pole casts a shadow on the ground - same Color as the ground, but cooler (since light from a warm sun does not hit it directly). Hopefully the shadow on the ground is not too dark - since it is on the ground plane, it is expected to be lighter than the upright pole. And closer to the pole, the cast shadow is darker and perhaps a little warmer (since it is less lit from the sky).

The shadow on the pole, I used the pole's color and made darker.

I enjoyed doing the exercise, it made me think a little about how things work, and got practice doing something very simple with no pressure. If you choose to do something similar, please do so and share your reactions.
pole.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:43 pm
I was cold and depressed so I took a soak in the tub and read chapter three again and decided to practice some of the principles in a simple image to see what would happen.

Sky lighter than ground. Ground lighter than pole. The pole casts a shadow on the ground - same Color as the ground, but cooler (since light from a warm sun does not hit it directly). Hopefully the shadow on the ground is not too dark - since it is on the ground plane, it is expected to be lighter than the upright pole. And closer to the pole, the cast shadow is darker and perhaps a little warmer (since it is less lit from the sky).

I enjoyed doing the exercise, it made me think a little about how things work, and got practice doing something very simple with no pressure. If you choose to do something similar, please do so and share your reactions. pole.jpg
Good example of what I got out of the chapter, though I am probably unable to produce it as you do. I shall try, when I get my mind back in gear. I was up all night agonizing over the election so I am facing recovery.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:30 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:43 pm

I enjoyed doing the exercise, it made me think a little about how things work, and got practice doing something very simple with no pressure. If you choose to do something similar, please do so and share your reactions. pole.jpg
Good example of what I got out of the chapter, though I am probably unable to produce it as you do. I shall try, when I get my mind back in gear. I was up all night agonizing over the election so I am facing recovery.
yes - regardless of who someone might be rooting for, it is pins and needless watching to see if the red and blue waves of outstanding votes change the leads in PA and AZ.

uuglypher
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

That it’s “pins and Needles” is,itself, sad testimony to the nonce division in our nation!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Here is my laughable experiment using crayons and kids' art paper.

I must explain. Of course. The two balls on the upper left "represent" the lighting which comes from a small desk lamp with two bulbs, one of which is a traditional yellowish bulb and the other is one of those white/blue bulbs. The subject is a 4 inch tall piece of pottery that contains leaves, acorns, lost buttons, and paper clips on my desk. I was studying the shadowing, which is always a problem for me in composites. And the color of the shadow, also the color of the shadow varying by the color of the light. The shadow from the white bulb was bluer and lighter than the shadow from the yellow one, and they overlapped. The ends of the shadows were bluer and lighter than start of them.

I may try this again with the ipad when it gets charged up (too much election watching). I tried with the wacom tablet and it was even more terrible than the crayons if you can believe that.

One thing I know: I need to get rid of the yellow bulb which impacts my computer monitor.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

Sounds to me like you need to use a check layer to help you see the light and dark or (luminosity) in the image rather than the color.....

of course if you would post the image we maybe could see what you are referring to.....Bahahahaha

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:10 am
Sounds to me like you need to use a check layer to help you see the light and dark or (luminosity) in the image rather than the color.....

of course if you would post the image we maybe could see what you are referring to.....Bahahahaha
WEll, yeah, the image might help. Or not! Glitch I've had since upgrading to Catalina OS: it does not automatically apend exported jpegs with the jpg or jpeg name, and without it, the image, even if it is a jpeg, will not upload on pM or on FB or my email. So I have to manually add it. Not sure about any other sites, may vary according to internal codes. Hopefully I can find a way to automate it.

And would ya tell me what a check layer is and how?
Attachments
x.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

Oh I see now...looks like a good representation of what you described to me. A check layer is just an adjustment layer you turn on and off to see discrepancies in an image or brightness, or saturation issues...or various other things.....after seeing the image they are not relevant here.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm
Oh I see now...looks like a good representation of what you described to me. A check layer is just an adjustment layer you turn on and off to see discrepancies in an image or brightness, or saturation issues...or various other things.....after seeing the image they are not relevant here.
need more info. What is on the layer? confused...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

Well....(https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2 ... e's%20data.) I know you don't care for video instruction but watch at about 8 minutes thru 14minutes....then again for about a minute at 19, shows a landscape image. Like I said none of this really applies here for your image...I thought you had an image you were having trouble seeing light and dark with shadows and things....not so much that you created one.