Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Open ChallengesCarlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Want to challenge fellow members? Post your challenge here.
Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Post by Psjunkie »

well put, spot on description, great observation......I had not noticed that at all until you pointed it out.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

Ok, I’m bravely marching on though I haven’t a clue what I’m doing. I’m trying Painter, Photoshop, Procreate, and plain old paper and a remnant of a black pastel to see what I can do. So far, few of them resemble the target enough to post or draw conclusions from but this exercise is making me more aware of tonalities, which is surely a good thing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8910004578

This review published in Vision Science some years ago on “Lightness,Brightness, and Transparency” provides (IMCO) any discussion on the broad concept of “tonality” with several, often sorely needed more objective “handles” to grab onto when scrambling through discussions on “tonality” and “tonal relationships”.
I found this review to be quite...er...lucid and eminently useful in considering more specific aspects of tonality and hope it might be found helpful in the context of Carlson’s theories and concepts under current consideration.

Dave

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

uuglypher wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:14 pm
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8910004578

This review published in Vision Science some years ago on “Lightness,Brightness, and Transparency” provides (IMCO) any discussion on the broad concept of “tonality” with several, often sorely needed more objective “handles” to grab onto when scrambling through discussions on “tonality” and “tonal relationships”.
I found this review to be quite...er...lucid and eminently useful in considering more specific aspects of tonality and hope it might be found helpful in the context of Carlson’s theories and concepts under current consideration.

Edit:

I mean’t to add that back in the day when pastel landscape painting was among my creative efforts I learned the utility of a really dark yellow Wrattan filter (can’t remember its number). It was useful to effectively remove hues from a scene, allowing more objective consideration of the arrangements and relationships of the scene’s tonal spectrum; it was of great utility in preparation of a grizzaile (sp) “under painting) of a scene as guidance to specific color selections re: relative luminance and reflectance.

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:32 pm
I think you need to go fetch your paints out of storage and help us with this thing!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I added a bit more to this Monhegan sketch - tones and possibly contrast. I'm still exploring which medium is gonna work for me since I know less than nothing about sketching or painting with any of them. Didn't remember what brush I used the first time so the brushwork doesn't match, but at least I'm trying here...
Attachments
mh2 (1 of 1).jpg