Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: wooly vulture head

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:56 pm
When working with art media, an artist typically does not put in the small detailed nuances of texture, specially on a complex image with all the feather detail. Remember, limit on the small detail end is the size of the pencil point. Try giving the overall image a Smart Blur to reduce the minor detail and hopefully the colored pencil effect will come through better. Also try reducing the size of the image before applying the effect. Reducing a large image down to web viewing size often negates the detail of the pencil effect brushes because the brush textures get lost during the reduction if done after the fact.

One more point. The sample image of the vulture you presented isolates just one part (the head) of the bird without any additional distracting elements. Consider doing that with your flamingo. My suggestion; crop just above the head to just below the beak's shadow then from just behind the head to whatever aspect ratio out onto the wing. Size it to the actual size you want to post and then run the action. Try it with and without the blur and see which result is better.

P. S. I find most of these actions use the filter gallery for a lot of their effects. Your image must be in 8 bit for the filter gallery to work. If you've been having trouble getting an action to work look at that first.
yes - about 8-bit, that was exactly the issue I had (finally figured it out). Thank you for this homework assignment, I will take a day or too and try to do a good job. You also were exactly right about the small detail issue (I think it crushed a lot of the pencil lines). Also I have to figure out how to do the "selection painting" a little better, with a variety of his brushes. I will follow your steps and share the results here. Thank you again!

I am really enjoying these actions, they are bringing me into a deeper PS comfort zone.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm
I am really enjoying these actions, they are bringing me into a deeper PS comfort zone.

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
The nice thing about these kinds of actions is that you can really push your typical image editing beyond what you would normally do simply because you will be destroying the natural 'photographic' look by applying additional effect layers. The Smart Blur, for example. You can also use gaussian blur to separate the main focus (i.e. head) from the background (i.e. wings and body). While as a photo an extreme blur may not work well, as a pencil sketch you can get away with it.

Don't be afraid to experiment. That's how cool things are discovered.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
The nice thing about these kinds of actions is that you can really push your typical image editing beyond what you would normally do simply because you will be destroying the natural 'photographic' look by applying additional effect layers. The Smart Blur, for example. You can also use gaussian blur to separate the main focus (i.e. head) from the background (i.e. wings and body). While as a photo an extreme blur may not work well, as a pencil sketch you can get away with it.

Don't be afraid to experiment. That's how cool things are discovered.
sigh... completely forgot about the blurring part (to be done before I run the action).. Made a mess of things, much to play with, have to watch youtube on this again. I must be brushing incorrectly, the "small brush" stuff in the center is still crushing the image (until I bring opacity way down). Anyway, this was a good "throw it in the wind" effort. I need to check out blurring and get that done...

also perhaps less painting and smaller brush, and perhaps change color of the brush to be appropriate for the area...
flapperMess.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm

a little better now... the action wants Background and a layer called "ga" that you paint (with a round brush) the mask that you would like the changes to occur to. So I blurred the image, unblurred head and beak via a mask, merged down, created the "ga" layer and ran the soft colored pencil action. Here are the results without any adjustments to any layers or any other work..
flapper1.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Wow, what a MAJOR difference. Much clearer in the intended subject. The art strokes are better defined adding to the hand crafted feel of the illustration. I'm not sure about the framing with the bird facing into the corner, but that's a personal choice.

Your experimentation is definitely working out. I'm really liking it. What are your thoughts?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm
Wow, what a MAJOR difference. Much clearer in the intended subject. The art strokes are better defined adding to the hand crafted feel of the illustration. I'm not sure about the framing with the bird facing into the corner, but that's a personal choice.

Your experimentation is definitely working out. I'm really liking it. What are your thoughts?
you are absolutely right about the framing... I wanted the sharper wing since cropping in meant cutting out space, but I lost the dark detail anyway, so using the other wing with a crop is likely better. I will give that a shot on the next cut. Also, I will look at each and every layer to see what they do and to make adjustments. I am thinking that it is still pretty easy to see that it was computer processed (the repeated symetrical large strokes). Some of those could be removed or made to fade away, lots of options.

One thing for sure, by seeing each layer adjustment, I am learning Way more about PS and that is a good thing for me.

Anyway, now I feel that I can make a tuned cut, and then the next question will be, "did it meet some of my objectives" going back to the vulture's head. Certainly the flamingo is not as detailed or zoomed as close, so I might need a different subject. But I LIKE the Goryn Art Action a LOT. I like the concept (since you have the layers to learn from and to adjust). I will certainly consider getting additional actions from him. They are not expensive...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm
you are absolutely right about the framing... I wanted the sharper wing since cropping in meant cutting out space, but I lost the dark detail anyway, so using the other wing with a crop is likely better. I will give that a shot on the next cut. Also, I will look at each and every layer to see what they do and to make adjustments. I am thinking that it is still pretty easy to see that it was computer processed (the repeated symetrical large strokes). Some of those could be removed or made to fade away, lots of options.

One thing for sure, by seeing each layer adjustment, I am learning Way more about PS and that is a good thing for me.

Anyway, now I feel that I can make a tuned cut, and then the next question will be, "did it meet some of my objectives" going back to the vulture's head. Certainly the flamingo is not as detailed or zoomed as close, so I might need a different subject. But I LIKE the Goryn Art Action a LOT. I like the concept (since you have the layers to learn from and to adjust). I will certainly consider getting additional actions from him. They are not expensive...

I would be curious to see how it would work on an image that has been selected and clipped from its background. As you mentioned the vulture head again, I am wondering how it would render if you just selected (or isolated) the flamingo's head and replaced it with either a white or black background and then, after running the action, replacing the background with a textured paper background similar to the vulture's.

Just thinking out loud... (!)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm

I would be curious to see how it would work on an image that has been selected and clipped from its background. As you mentioned the vulture head again, I am wondering how it would render if you just selected (or isolated) the flamingo's head and replaced it with either a white or black background and then, after running the action, replacing the background with a textured paper background similar to the vulture's.

Just thinking out loud... (!)
with your idea in mind I now know how to change the background (the action has a "paper" area that you can easily add texture to). Having a crisp edge is out of the picture however using this tool... The entire effect seems to be about brushing back and blending the image with the background with automated brush strokes. The actual image gets very little in the way of "painting". I am thinking that a "drawing" action might be helpful, to take care of the "insides" so to speak. I will need to find a new subject for this (the flamingo is starting to give me a headache - LOL).

For this last cut, I added a texture and then I went through each layer that the action gave me. And I used a colored pencil brush to change it's mask. I would toggle the eyeball to see what the layer did and then I would paint on the mask until I got the type of transition that I was seeking.

Learning a lot, a LONG ways to go, the rest of my life for sure!!
flapperLast.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 am
Learning a lot, a LONG ways to go, the rest of my life for sure!! flapperLast.jpg

Eh... Maybe. You've come quite far in just a very short time. It already looks like you picked up a few tools to take advantage of moving forward. That's pretty awesome.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 am
Learning a lot, a LONG ways to go, the rest of my life for sure!! flapperLast.jpg

Eh... Maybe. You've come quite far in just a very short time. It already looks like you picked up a few tools to take advantage of moving forward. That's pretty awesome.
LOL - your quote about learning something new each day resonates with me. -- plus after playing with those actions I am a touch more comfortable with PS.