"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Open ChallengesCelebrate What's Right!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Celebrate What's Right!

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:45 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:07 pm
On a beautiful day too. No fog! Nice contrast between the complementary colors as a result, too. Definitely to celebrate.
The weather is part of the celebration, but to explain I need to tell a story, one of learning.

I've been to the San Francisco area several times before and had thought about driving further north to see Muir Woods, Point Reyes, or Glass Beach, but the weatherman said it wasn't going to be a good day for it so I thought I'd stay in town and looked for other places to shoot. I sort of have the usual places, but assumed there were more so I opened Google Maps and rounded the coast looking for anything I hadn't seen before. One of the places I set out for was The Wave Organ, then across the street to the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre. I started towards the overlook but even the weather had turned and you couldn't see The Bridge.

I guessed my next spot might be open so I headed for the Lands End Labyrinth. It was a fun hike but started coming down on the way back. I tried the overlook again, but by that time thought I might pack it in and head for the hotel in Berkley so I crossed The Bridge. I had almost given up but I pulled into the viewpoint and could see part of the bridge. I know a hidden spot so I made my way and wasn't disappointed, a little fog a little bridge! As I headed back towards the road I could see the clouds breaking so I thought I might make my way to the Marin Headlands and see if I could get a shot or two. It was completely socked in, almost scary driving really.

So there I am in a sea of fog thinking I should have continued on to the hotel, but the sun was still up so it wasn't that late yet and wondered if I could salvage this. I'd never been to the Point Bonita Lighthouse so I made my way down the 18% graded road and found the skies opening. It was like The Bridge was a fog catcher and everything else was okay. The lighthouse was a fun walk and I may have some good images, but I could see the fog breaking again so I hustled back to the car and back to the overlooks. It was breaking as the sun was setting so down I went to Battery Kirby and waited with the others there to say goodnight to the old girl!

The moral of my story is that I didn't give up. Cold and tired I did what we tell everyone too, wait until the last light then wait some more and it worked. I checked in late and had a late dinner but it was worth it and I saw things I hadn't before. Wait for the last light! S-
Never give up! Loved your story. I can't count the number of times I've found something wonderful by persisting instead of giving up. That's probably why I drive my travel companions crazy (just ask Graham) begging them to go "just a little further" so I can see what's around the next bend.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 am

Steve, In the '90s sometime, Maureen and I visited SF and went across to Marin County, I think. I took a photo on some promontory and showed it to the arts professor at the college where I was working. He called it a 10 out of 10. (Faculty always tell the president that.) He made a very large print that I have unframed sitting in a drawer and will take a photo of it if I can figure out how to do that and post it here. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 am
Steve, In the '90s sometime, Maureen and I visited SF and went across to Marin County, I think. I took a photo on some promontory and showed it to the arts professor at the college where I was working. He called it a 10 out of 10. (Faculty always tell the president that.) He made a very large print that I have unframed sitting in a drawer and will take a photo of it if I can figure out how to do that and post it here. Matt
I'm excited to see it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm

The Celebrate thread is a good place for me to share bad photos of wonderful things, like this butterfly.
Attachments
bfly (1 of 1).jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm
The Celebrate thread is a good place for me to share bad photos of wonderful things, like this butterfly.
Wow, that's a beautiful Apatura! Beautiful! S-
- I thought it was a moth at first, so I looked it up

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:15 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Wow, that's a beautiful Apatura! Beautiful! S-
- I thought it was a moth at first, so I looked it up
Thanks for telling me what it is, I didn't know!

Just a few feet away from this blue beauty was the water's edge, and the sun was so bright on my poor poor eyes that I almost missed this guy. I don't think he missed me though. We should always celebrate a creature who has survived on this earth for around 8 MILLION YEARS. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ought.html I remain in awe of these precious examples of living history.
Attachments
morning (1 of 1).jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Here it, I hope. I tried to send this in the morning but it seems not to have gone. I don't recall anything other than it was shot with b&w film on a nikon. My friend printed it on a 16x20 sheet. Image is 11x16. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris-193.jpg
photoMentoris-193.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:15 pm
Thanks for telling me what it is, I didn't know!

Just a few feet away from this blue beauty was the water's edge, and the sun was so bright on my poor poor eyes that I almost missed this guy. I don't think he missed me though. We should always celebrate a creature who has survived on this earth for around 8 MILLION YEARS. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ought.html I remain in awe of these precious examples of living history.
So cute! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Here it, I hope. I tried to send this in the morning but it seems not to have gone. I don't recall anything other than it was shot with b&w film on a nikon. My friend printed it on a 16x20 sheet. Image is 11x16. Matt
So beautiful! S-