Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: St3v3M's 30 Day: Rule Of Thirds

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am
(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 7 - Chugga-Chugga
I love the perspective and strong lines. You could darken/clone/uncolor (desaturate) the bits of detail near upper right for even stronger emphasis on the...mmm geometry? Graphical feel? I get lost sometimes with which terms best describe :|
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm

St3v3M wrote:
You're setting a great example of perseverance for us! Finding compositions that defy the ROT is not an easy choice of challenges, but you're finding interesting subjects. This one3 would lend itself to many cool graphic-type renditions in any kind of creative software, including that very cool site you shared with us.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Your 30 day achievement is off to a fine start Steve. Some interesting subjects and as I understand it, the thread is about breaking the rule of thirds, correct?
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm
I love the perspective and strong lines. You could darken/clone/uncolor (desaturate) the bits of detail near upper right for even stronger emphasis on the...mmm geometry? Graphical feel? I get lost sometimes with which terms best describe :|
I thought of going full black and white, but liked that little touch of red. It's something to keep in mind though! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm
You're setting a great example of perseverance for us! Finding compositions that defy the ROT is not an easy choice of challenges, but you're finding interesting subjects. This one3 would lend itself to many cool graphic-type renditions in any kind of creative software, including that very cool site you shared with us.
It took a bit to get past my presets, but I think I'm finding my way. Thank you and feel free to play! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm
Your 30 day achievement is off to a fine start Steve. Some interesting subjects and as I understand it, the thread is about breaking the rule of thirds, correct?
Dave
Thank you so much! It's about breaking the Rule Of Thirds and I'm still working on it! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:
I like it. It works. So I asks meself, Self, why does it work? And Self sez, because the Suggestion of Thirds is by far not the only compositional "rule" that works. It's one of the best known; it's easy; it's not difficult to understand; you can have the guides up in your finder in many cameras. This particular picture works (sez Self) because among other things the frame is filled. Filled to overflowing. It also has 3 main elements. We like odd numbers in our compositions. The visual weights are nicely balanced. There are really only two colors except for the splash of red. The black and white are quite stark and the shadow detail is barely there so we really see only the leveled conrods forming the strong base supporting the heavy drivers. Circles and lines. Self is not really that big on careful psiantifical analysis of why something works, but thirds is only one way to make a pleasing composition. This one has many of the other myriad "rules" embedded: simple; line; balance; group of 3; filled frame. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm
I like it. It works. So I asks meself, Self, why does it work? And Self sez, because the Suggestion of Thirds is by far not the only compositional "rule" that works. It's one of the best known; it's easy; it's not difficult to understand; you can have the guides up in your finder in many cameras. This particular picture works (sez Self) because among other things the frame is filled. Filled to overflowing. It also has 3 main elements. We like odd numbers in our compositions. The visual weights are nicely balanced. There are really only two colors except for the splash of red. The black and white are quite stark and the shadow detail is barely there so we really see only the leveled conrods forming the strong base supporting the heavy drivers. Circles and lines. Self is not really that big on careful psiantifical analysis of why something works, but thirds is only one way to make a pleasing composition. This one has many of the other myriad "rules" embedded: simple; line; balance; group of 3; filled frame. :thumbup:
I was hoping you might catch the other Rule Of Thirds, with the three elements. I've been thinking about it a lot lately! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm
I was hoping you might catch the other Rule Of Thirds, with the three elements. I've been thinking about it a lot lately! S-
Without even looking closely at it, threes makes sense because of balance. A teeter-totter can have only one fulcrum. It's not that perfectly fine compositions cannot be made with even numbers of elements; it's that odd numbers, especially threes, are easier. The whole idea is to make something beautiful that other people look at and go Wow. The fact is I don't generally analyze a lot why I think something works, but I've also done the job professionally for a long time so maybe some of it is baked in from long practice. Golden triangles and spirals and golden ratios just kinda boggle me, but working in odds is not difficult to grasp or use. Filling the frame comes naturally. OVERfilling the frame is a little harder, but when they wuz training me they encouraged us to think about what lay outside the frame, what it implied. With this picture it helps to know what a rod-driven steam engine looks like, but since I do I see the big driver on the left and the one of the right and because they are cut through by the frame my brain immediately starts to fill in the details I can't see. I know I am looking at the running gear of a steam engine, and while I can't tell exactly what, how many drivers, age, pattern, I at least know what it is. By getting in tight I see heavy, strong, big, powerful! My mind starts drawing a picture from the details.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Without even looking closely at it, threes makes sense because of balance. A teeter-totter can have only one fulcrum. It's not that perfectly fine compositions cannot be made with even numbers of elements; it's that odd numbers, especially threes, are easier. The whole idea is to make something beautiful that other people look at and go Wow. The fact is I don't generally analyze a lot why I think something works, but I've also done the job professionally for a long time so maybe some of it is baked in from long practice. Golden triangles and spirals and golden ratios just kinda boggle me, but working in odds is not difficult to grasp or use. Filling the frame comes naturally. OVERfilling the frame is a little harder, but when they wuz training me they encouraged us to think about what lay outside the frame, what it implied. With this picture it helps to know what a rod-driven steam engine looks like, but since I do I see the big driver on the left and the one of the right and because they are cut through by the frame my brain immediately starts to fill in the details I can't see. I know I am looking at the running gear of a steam engine, and while I can't tell exactly what, how many drivers, age, pattern, I at least know what it is. By getting in tight I see heavy, strong, big, powerful! My mind starts drawing a picture from the details.
This is a wonderful analysis with rich detail I can see as you explain it. I will keep this in mind as I continue on this quest! S-