Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: St3v3M's 30 Day: Rule Of Thirds

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm
This is a wonderful analysis with rich detail I can see as you explain it. I will keep this in mind as I continue on this quest! S-
I went looking for an example of implication in framing. This is pretty close to the exercise we did in school. A line of people walking: in one we can count the total number of 12. In the second a simple, deliberate crop through the first and last in line implies there were too many for the photographer to fit in the frame. Maybe it's hundreds, or thousands, but it's still just the same 12... I've used this trick lots of times. I had a car lot full of cars but wanted to imply there were many more than there actually were; by cropping tight the mind tends to interpret that to mean there are an infinity of cars. If the frame shows exactly what was there (see where I'm goin'?) then that's it, but if by judicious cropping the frame manages to imply something else (hint hint)...? :D
Attachments
group-of-people-walking-silhouettes-stock-illustration_csp27180260.jpg
group-of-people-walking-silhouettes-stock-illustration_csp27180260.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 211 times
group-of-people-walking-silhouette how many.jpg
group-of-people-walking-silhouette how many.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm
I went looking for an example of implication in framing. This is pretty close to the exercise we did in school. A line of people walking: in one we can count the total number of 12. In the second a simple, deliberate crop through the first and last in line implies there were too many for the photographer to fit in the frame. Maybe it's hundreds, or thousands, but it's still just the same 12... I've used this trick lots of times. I had a car lot full of cars but wanted to imply there were many more than there actually were; by cropping tight the mind tends to interpret that to mean there are an infinity of cars. If the frame shows exactly what was there (see where I'm goin'?) then that's it, but if by judicious cropping the frame manages to imply something else (hint hint)...? :D
The stories we see, and the stories we tell! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

It's raining today, and only getting worse tonight, so I thought I'd experiment a little! S-

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 8 - The Ol'Girl
Attachments
IMG_6711-1.jpg
IMG_6711-1.jpg (306.62 KiB) Viewed 209 times

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm
It's raining today, and only getting worse tonight, so I thought I'd experiment a little! S-

I am happy to meet Ol Girl, but her grill looks a little third-ish, dontcha think? Maybe if you gave her a spin to a 45 degree angle?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 pm
I am happy to meet Ol Girl, but her grill looks a little third-ish, dontcha think? Maybe if you gave her a spin to a 45 degree angle?
I was wondering who would see it. I've had the idea for awhile and took the shot between the rain, but when I looked at it the bumper was smack on the bottom third no matter how I framed it. The crop doesn't put anything real on the thirds, but it's close.

I'm still working on this! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am
(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 7 - Chugga-Chugga
I did a little digging and found this -

- http://wikimapia.org/13360554/Mogul-No-1629
This Mogul engine, No. 1629, is a class M4 engine weighing 75 tons, with wheels 2-6-0.
It was built in 1900 in Schenectady, New York, and purchased by Southern Pacific Railroad for use on the line which ran from Yuma, Arizona to Portland, Oregon, passing through the Santa Clarita Valley.

In 1957 it was retired and sold to Western actor Gene Autry, who used it in films at his Melody Ranch on nearby Placerita Canyon Road. It appeared in such television series as "Gunsmoke" and "Wyatt Earp."

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

If I may make so bold, here is what I would have done with it (I rarely concern myself with the "traditional" aspect ratios since I also rarely print or frame)... I like the picture. I just think there are distracting elements that can be removed, making a stronger well-balanced linear composition; The Ol'Grill ;)
Attachments
IMG_6711-1 - Edited.jpg
IMG_6711-1 - Edited.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am
St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am
(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 7 - Chugga-Chugga
I did a little digging and found this -

- http://wikimapia.org/13360554/Mogul-No-1629
This Mogul engine, No. 1629, is a class M4 engine weighing 75 tons, with wheels 2-6-0.
It was built in 1900 in Schenectady, New York, and purchased by Southern Pacific Railroad for use on the line which ran from Yuma, Arizona to Portland, Oregon, passing through the Santa Clarita Valley.

In 1957 it was retired and sold to Western actor Gene Autry, who used it in films at his Melody Ranch on nearby Placerita Canyon Road. It appeared in such television series as "Gunsmoke" and "Wyatt Earp."
Thanks for the details! I had guesstimated she was around 1900, maybe a 4-4-0 "American." I love steamers and if I get out that way I will look her up.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm
If I may make so bold, here is what I would have done with it (I rarely concern myself with the "traditional" aspect ratios since I also rarely print or frame)... I like the picture. I just think there are distracting elements that can be removed, making a stronger well-balanced linear composition; The Ol'Grill ;)
I felt bad enough losing as much context as I did and was trying to not do any 'trickery' but I agree and thank you! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm
Thanks for the details! I had guesstimated she was around 1900, maybe a 4-4-0 "American." I love steamers and if I get out that way I will look her up.
I remember you like steamers and thought you might like to know more! S-