Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Open ChallengesCarlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Want to challenge fellow members? Post your challenge here.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:10 am
minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:20 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:51 am
\
I like what you did - Look, Think, Record/Render, Look, Think. And I think your image is very cool - (Even if it is mostly yellow WARM!). Share with us how you felt during these different phases you went through. If this image is light/dark and warm/cool (at the same time no less!), what else is it?

Drawing the lights was cool - though perhaps exceedingly difficult if not impossible, so the lights are Abstract. But we have what the lights produce! A warm light and a cool light, And you have shown a subject and it's cast shadow, and how that shadow interacts with the subject and with light. And you have shaded the subject also in a very cool way. (loving those super bright white spots)... And from where they are, I can see and think that not only are we dealing with cast shadows, but that the chalice is glass - and if that is so, it is not just cast shadow that we see, but light streaming Through the object.

And I am wondering if we have two lights and two merged shadows (with the darkest spot in the middle), or a transparent subject that is also streaming its own colors back onto the shadowed areas, with it's own dimmer, but colorful light.
The steps sound better than the laughable sketch looks. The little pottery piece is opaque, it's made of local dirt and clay, and I tried to render its interior shadowing too, though I'm limited in that. Here's a photo. I don't think I've moved it very far from where it was, and I still haven't changed that bulb either!
I had to play, could not help myself. Thank you for making me look and think and play.paula.jpg
Nice salvage operation! Mixer brush?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:27 am

Nice salvage operation! Mixer brush?
yeah - mixer brush, the job is not so nice, but had fun and it shows me that I wish I could draw/paint. It shows me that the mixing of traditional and electronic media is a valid path to creating images.