Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
Waiting On An Update - The Reply Error Message Is An Annoyance, But The Site Still Works

Open Challengeslearning to see color

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: learning to see color

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm
AH … you say "I was wondering if the warming/cooling changed the Values"... I interpreted the word Values to equate to Brightness (Artistically speaking in painting you have Values (brightness), Edge (a type of contrast), and Color (Hue in photoshop). Many interpretation errors.

So to answer more clearly, in the second image, I would expect changes in Hue and Saturation, but not in Brightness.
No they are from this image which for whatever reason I did not successfully attach. Sorry for the confusion. i feel like we are in the movie "Babble."
And it is a GREEN apple, no less. I got confused also because I thought for a minute you might have another image, but the hues you listed were similar to my green hues. I did not see red hues!! LOL

Ok, so now... looking at the numbers, what are you seeing? Might be worth putting the numbers on the image to make it easier to talk about, but you only had four areas so we are ok...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:43 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm
AH … you say "I was wondering if the warming/cooling changed the Values"... I interpreted the word Values to equate to Brightness (Artistically speaking in painting you have Values (brightness), Edge (a type of contrast), and Color (Hue in photoshop). Many interpretation errors.

So to answer more clearly, in the second image, I would expect changes in Hue and Saturation, but not in Brightness.
No they are from this image which for whatever reason I did not successfully attach. Sorry for the confusion. i feel like we are in the movie "Babble."
for what it is worth, the brighter areas in your image look warmer to me (though that is hard to pull from just the numbers) - but your numbers definitely show that the darker areas are more heavily saturated.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 am

simpleton is wondering what we are trying to figure out again...if saturation and warmth are greater or lessor in highlights or shadows????? I got lost somewhere

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 am
simpleton is wondering what we are trying to figure out again...if saturation and warmth are greater or lessor in highlights or shadows????? I got lost somewhere
Hi Frank - hey, those were observations I came up with - I"m sure that those things change depending on lighting conditions, but it isn't about that so much as it is about using the eyedropper and looking at the numbers and seeing what is going on in a particular image. Seeing if there is a pattern that is taking place. The values (brightness) I think are pretty predictable and everyone sees them, but I think the other things are also predictable, but we see them more intuitively.

So anyway, it is just about looking at the numbers and thinking about what it is that they tell you.. For sure, there Are highlights and shadows and the question becomes, what makes them so? What are their characteristics? Is it more true if taken in sunshine? Is it less true if inside a house?

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Thank you for the explanation Piet.