Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals Critiquepainterly horse

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

painterly horse

Post by PietFrancke »

attempting to separate the horse from background and get a painterly look. Used a lot of Topaz Simplify to get the lines.. Stuck with the idea of having greater color and contrast on the lower (closer) part of the image.. Curious what you think and about other ways to handle horses.
minimal processing version
minimal processing version
artistic version
artistic version

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I knew we’d see this horse again!

Good Idea to try Simplify. I am on a train to New Orleans so I can’t share any horses or specific recipes till I get home Sunday but here’s what I remember about my best outcomes for Assateague horses and wild Icelandic horses. I had a layer of Nik Glamour Glow which renders an Ortonish effect and a layer of something that increased detail and tonal contrast. Then I masked to get the stuff I wanted where I wanted it. Then I did a separate dodge and burn and color adjustment layers.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Good Idea to try Simplify. I am on a train to New Orleans so I can’t share any horses or specific recipes till I get home Sunday but here’s what I remember about my best outcomes for Assateague horses and wild Icelandic horses. I had a layer of Nik Glamour Glow which renders an Ortonish effect and a layer of something that increased detail and tonal contrast. Then I masked to get the stuff I wanted where I wanted it. Then I did a separate dodge and burn and color adjustment layers.
thanks Min - I will try some of that.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

You seem to have been able to add some depth to the front legs and it white marking...I can't really add anything helpful

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:39 pm
minniev wrote:

Upon a review at home, my horse recipes seem similar to what I posted. The Assateague horses (bottom pair) were taken earlier in my journey with less able camera and photographer and processing, but similar steps if clumsier.
Attachments
Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Assateague
Assateague
Assateague
Assateague

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:09 pm
You seem to have been able to add some depth to the front legs and it white marking...I can't really add anything helpful
thanks Frank - ultimately, probably the horse needs to be approaching something, just not much there.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:22 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:

Upon a review at home, my horse recipes seem similar to what I posted. The Assateague horses (bottom pair) were taken earlier in my journey with less able camera and photographer and processing, but similar steps if clumsier.
the second is interesting for seeing the coat, but the first one and the third and fourth are just awesome.. Nothing is more beautiful than watching them move fast, and they were coming to you at that. The light in the fourth is wonderful. The horses in the first are interacting with each other - all to say that What they are doing helps bundles to make those shots cool. We always go to Chincoteague because it is a half hour closer, but very seldom do I get good pony shots. I see some trips to Assateague in the future!! They have some WILD manes don't they?!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:22 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

the second is interesting for seeing the coat, but the first one and the third and fourth are just awesome.. Nothing is more beautiful than watching them move fast, and they were coming to you at that. The light in the fourth is wonderful. The horses in the first are interacting with each other - all to say that What they are doing helps bundles to make those shots cool. We always go to Chincoteague because it is a half hour closer, but very seldom do I get good pony shots. I see some trips to Assateague in the future!! They have some WILD manes don't they?!
The Assateague experience was one of my most wonderful photographic moments. I'd been hanging around all day, and made a lot of photos of them grazing, lying on the beach, etc. But at sundown when they moved out of the forest into that field in that wind and light, it was magic. That's when I learned that they always post a Watcher when they graze. One horse keeps her/his head up, watching, to protect the herd, so that the others can eat safely. I took pictures of them too. #3 is a Watcher. Assateague is a beautiful place with multiple photo ops across the park. I'd love to go back.

The behavior of the first 2 Icelandic horses is the formation of a Storm Circle. When a storm begins to develop, the lead horse will gather everyone up and form a circle with their tails inward and heads outward and the little ones in the middle. This circle was forming, and I got lots of shots till the storm made it impossible anymore. Some of my favorites, though there was no sun to speak of.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

My run at your horse.

I love photographing wild horses. I had to play. Hope it's OK.
Attachments
piets-horse.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Wow minniev...I've seen some of your horse pics but these are really eye catching...