Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Animals CritiqueGull-Day

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Gull-Day

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Nothing but gulls under the dam lately.

This may be misplaced under animals because it is mostly about place I think. I confess Duck has got me kinda paranoid about figuring out my subject matter, which may be a good thing, not sure yet. I think I'm too old to start over so it is more tempting to just give up and make dam bird follies :D . Nonetheless, I forced out a few snaps this week after the rains quit, and this is one.

I'm not satisfied with this so I'd welcome feedback about how to do more with the current residents. I'm not trying to do tack sharp nature photos of gulls, Audubon style, but more trying to capture the melee they're creating in the water and light.
Attachments
gulls (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 pm

yep - here is where my Canon 7D shines. It is fast - this is the kind of place where you sit in a lawn chair for twenty minutes and use up a battery charge just filling up a card. And then go home and throw it all away except for the 10 images that have the birds in the right place (perhaps lit up but against shadow for instance). With birds and with that roaring water and changing light conditions --- click.click.click.click. It is kind of a spray and pray on a known wonderful place. You might already be doing that, but am just saying that in a magical place like this, you will get many, many, cool shots.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 pm

all I can think of is making it a bit more dreamy than you already have...don't know if that enhances the melee you seek. Hard to not like any of your dam bird images....

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 pm
yep - here is where my Canon 7D shines. It is fast - this is the kind of place where you sit in a lawn chair for twenty minutes and use up a battery charge just filling up a card. And then go home and throw it all away except for the 10 images that have the birds in the right place (perhaps lit up but against shadow for instance). With birds and with that roaring water and changing light conditions --- click.click.click.click. It is kind of a spray and pray on a known wonderful place. You might already be doing that, but am just saying that in a magical place like this, you will get many, many, cool shots.
I sometimes use a mode on my camera that takes 60 frames per second including some that happened before I pressed the button. I didn’t yesterday because I was using an older lens that doesn’t work with that mode. I’ll take my newer lens next time even though it’s not as bright. I believe you’re right that I need more to pick from while gull-madness is in session!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 pm
all I can think of is making it a bit more dreamy than you already have...don't know if that enhances the melee you seek. Hard to not like any of your dam bird images....
Dreamier might work. Thanks.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
[...] I confess Duck has got me kinda paranoid about figuring out my subject matter, which may be a good thing, not sure yet. [...]

:? Nooooo! I don't want to be the source of people's apprehension.
Here is a guide to figuring out what category to select for posting;

What is the subject (animal, vegetable, mineral?)? Is there a category for that subject? Put it there. The variants to this would be anything considered a 'scape' or some form of abstract or composited/artistic image.

Alternatively if it's for the critique section, what is the object/subject of the critique (animal, vegetable, mineral?)? Is there a category for that object/subject, which can be different than the subject of the image.

In this case the image is about the birds as the questions asked are regarding the gulls and not the water.

Hope this helps ease some of the anxiety. I wouldn't want to be the cause of you having to take a Xanax :S
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Maybe too much melee ???
Attachments
gulls (1 of 1) copy_psjunkie.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 pm
Maybe too much melee ???
I like the extra glow and blur. This isn't supposed to be a technical image, but a slightly abstracted version.

Thanks for taking a go at it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 pm
minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
[...] I confess Duck has got me kinda paranoid about figuring out my subject matter, which may be a good thing, not sure yet. [...]

:? Nooooo! I don't want to be the source of people's apprehension.
Here is a guide to figuring out what category to select for posting;

What is the subject (animal, vegetable, mineral?)? Is there a category for that subject? Put it there. The variants to this would be anything considered a 'scape' or some form of abstract or composited/artistic image.

Alternatively if it's for the critique section, what is the object/subject of the critique (animal, vegetable, mineral?)? Is there a category for that object/subject, which can be different than the subject of the image.

In this case the image is about the birds as the questions asked are regarding the gulls and not the water.

Hope this helps ease some of the anxiety. I wouldn't want to be the cause of you having to take a Xanax :S
I don't worry too much about categories, more my own perceptions! I am never anxious, but frustration is a state that is known to me.

Impatience with learning things becomes more of an issue as I age. What once seemed an endless opportunity to learn faces finite limits as we age. Sand in the hourglass and all that :wall:

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Another, even more abstracted. Still worried about the birds.
Attachments
boat (1 of 1)-4.jpg