"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Animals Critique'In Search of the Missing Feather'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'In Search of the Missing Feather'

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Screenshot 2018-06-29 08.40.23.png
EXIF data
While out yesterday I came across about 50 or so Canada Geese, which I have always called them Canadian Geese but was recently corrected. Anyway, I have seen them flock together on many occasions but never have witnessed this many at one time. Since this was a unique experience for me I decided to record the event. While doing so, the geese began to woddle towards the river when I noticed a single feather out on the pavement. Immediately this reminded me of Minnie's recent owl feather, Now there is no comparison whatsoever with Minnie's owl feather and this goose feather. I just wanted to mention it because if I had not seen the owl feather I would have ignored the goose feather, hence the title 'In Search of the Missing Feather'.

I used a low angle viewfinder attachment and a 16-28mm wide angle lens @f2.8. I'm curious to know if others would have captured this image with different camera settings, especially the aperture. IMO, I should have taken one at f8 in order to have the geese more in focus. I added a textured layer but did not apply any of the texture to the feather since it was the only element in focus. Opinions?
Attachments
Feather Search w DEC_4742.jpg
'Feather Search'

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm

I think you choose right as the focused area is the subject.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 pm

I like the textured feel and the composition very much. The OOF at the bottom is a little distracting, Perhaps crop out a strip at the bottom. And level, or add more tilt.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Well you knew I’d love it, as much as I attribute human-ish thought to the birds I shoot. The massive trampling herd of geese scouring the area for the precious object made me smile on a rough morning. Yes, just the right perspective, just the right choices about focal point, just the right processing with the dark detailed feather in the foreground and the slightly overexposed and OOF geese closing in from a distance. I do concur with Piet about the OOF area in front of the feather being a bit too much to digest, I’d take a little off the bottom but clearly this is a winner.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:17 pm

I love the concept. It's a strong concept and definitely one that tells a story, of sorts. It's very light and inviting and affords enough to want to explore the full image while still maintaining control of the story. My only critique (which is more a comment about working a scene and not so much a critique on this particular image) is I would have turned the feather in different orientations to see which one was the strongest. Sideways to camera, quill (or calamus) to the birds, quill away from the birds (as shown here), curve up, curve down, etc. This would allow me to find the strongest of the story lines to present. My initial reaction is to say that the quill pointing away tends to imply being left behind, which fits in very nicely with the feel of the overall image. The texture, for me, can go either way. It doesn't really do anything for me but neither do I find it distracting. I do like that you did not include the texture on the feather, enforcing the focus point of the image. Compositionally, I would have loved to see more room around the birds. As is they look a bit boxed in, diminishing the feeling of freedom these birds enjoy.

As always, just my two bits. Hope this helps.

P.S. I, too, have always referred to these as Canadian geese.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Wow that's neat. It reminds me of a postcard from a time past, but still as relevant today. Neat concept! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm
I think you choose right as the focused area is the subject.....

Thanks Frank, much appreciated !!!
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 pm
I like the textured feel and the composition very much. The OOF at the bottom is a little distracting, Perhaps crop out a strip at the bottom. And level, or add more tilt.

Thanks Piet, I agree the bottom OOF is a distraction. I have since cropped and will repost.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:16 pm
Well you knew I’d love it, as much as I attribute human-ish thought to the birds I shoot. The massive trampling herd of geese scouring the area for the precious object made me smile on a rough morning. Yes, just the right perspective, just the right choices about focal point, just the right processing with the dark detailed feather in the foreground and the slightly overexposed and OOF geese closing in from a distance. I do concur with Piet about the OOF area in front of the feather being a bit too much to digest, I’d take a little off the bottom but clearly this is a winner.

Yes, they are fascinating to watch, but yet a pain when in the middle of the road. One has got to be extremely careful approaching by car or foot. Thanks for the detailed suggestions.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:17 pm
I love the concept. It's a strong concept and definitely one that tells a story, of sorts. It's very light and inviting and affords enough to want to explore the full image while still maintaining control of the story. My only critique (which is more a comment about working a scene and not so much a critique on this particular image) is I would have turned the feather in different orientations to see which one was the strongest. Sideways to camera, quill (or calamus) to the birds, quill away from the birds (as shown here), curve up, curve down, etc. This would allow me to find the strongest of the story lines to present. My initial reaction is to say that the quill pointing away tends to imply being left behind, which fits in very nicely with the feel of the overall image. The texture, for me, can go either way. It doesn't really do anything for me but neither do I find it distracting. I do like that you did not include the texture on the feather, enforcing the focus point of the image. Compositionally, I would have loved to see more room around the birds. As is they look a bit boxed in, diminishing the feeling of freedom these birds enjoy.

As always, just my two bits. Hope this helps.

P.S. I, too, have always referred to these as Canadian geese.

Thanks for your suggestions Duck, as always good ones to apply. I had all the time in the world with the feather, but the geese ... well they were on a mission of their own and time was a critical issue in order to capture them while wobbling to the river. I didn't want to get very close to them because of fear of speeding their process and of course, a possible attack that I have encountered in the past. I do agree tho, working the scene is and can be best. There's room for other opportunities to try, try again.
Dave