“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Animals Critique'Animal House'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Animal House'

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 am

This image I would consider to be a composite, because I masked in the sky. I wanted so much for this to be B&W, but felt color was the way to go with this one. If I can come up with something that seems suitable for me, I may try another attempt to convert to B&W. Until then, thoughts and comments to make it better if possible or just scratch it and try for another?

Since I am on a roll to visit the zoo several times, I do think I will use this thread to post other zoo animals, at least for now. Animal House just wouldn't be .... without other animals as for maybe chaperones?
Attachments
Giraffe DEC_4674w color.jpg
' Skylar Giraffe'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:37 pm

I like his long skinny face and the munching story with the detail of the grass. A regret would be that you didn't capture the beast in portrait form - perhaps still, cropping to that might help, or square anyway cutting out the left.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm

I think the color combo is working well here Mr. Chinn....I agree with Piet about a crop..almost to his head creating a bit of a diagonal bottom right to upper left...then some may say flip

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Great light on the beast, and the leading line to its left eye is dynamite. You caught it in mid-munch with lips in gorgeous light, too. I agree about cropping to a square but am not sure about flipping. Once I've seen it, I can't unsee it when I flip. Another visit for the profile would be a treat. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 am
This image I would consider to be a composite, because I masked in the sky. I wanted so much for this to be B&W, but felt color was the way to go with this one. If I can come up with something that seems suitable for me, I may try another attempt to convert to B&W. Until then, thoughts and comments to make it better if possible or just scratch it and try for another?
I think he's wonderful, and the muted colors work well. The light provides detail in the eyelashes and the munchy mouth (and its contents). I agree with others that cropping some of the area on the left might improve the composition and emphasize the strengths of this unusual but effective framing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:37 pm
I like his long skinny face and the munching story with the detail of the grass. A regret would be that you didn't capture the beast in portrait form - perhaps still, cropping to that might help, or square anyway cutting out the left.

Thanks Piet, I have several images, but all were taken in landscape mode. I'm sure I can take the originals and crop them to portrait mode, but I'm not totally satisfied with the others. I know for a fact that I will return and most probably recapture this magnificent animal. I appreciate your suggestions.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm
I think the color combo is working well here Mr. Chinn....I agree with Piet about a crop..almost to his head creating a bit of a diagonal bottom right to upper left...then some may say flip

Thanks Frank, I'll look into your suggested crop and flip to see if it's appropriate to my eyes.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 pm
Great light on the beast, and the leading line to its left eye is dynamite. You caught it in mid-munch with lips in gorgeous light, too. I agree about cropping to a square but am not sure about flipping. Once I've seen it, I can't unsee it when I flip. Another visit for the profile would be a treat. Matt

Thanks Matt !!! A square crop may be the way to go. I never gave that one a thought, but I do think a redo is in order for maybe proper corrections.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:13 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm
davechinn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 am
I think he's wonderful, and the muted colors work well. The light provides detail in the eyelashes and the munchy mouth (and its contents). I agree with others that cropping some of the area on the left might improve the composition and emphasize the strengths of this unusual but effective framing.
Thank you Minnie !!! Yes, the eyelashes, now that you have brought it more to my attention, gives me thought of another direction when I return for another series.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:32 pm

This is another composite of two images. I'm posting the originals of the two images I used to create the composite. I chose to convert this one to B&W. Thoughts and or suggestions?
Dave
Attachments
Elephants B&W DEC_4670 & 4661w.jpg
finished composite of the elephants
Elephant DEC_4670w color.jpg
original image of the bull elephant used for the foreground
Elephant DEC_4661w color.jpg
original image for the background

David Alan Harvey