"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiqueWatching Water Burn

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Watching Water Burn

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

The light on the dam in fog, and at certain hours, is almost always interesting. But the birds don't always cooperate. This morning there was one lone bird working beneath the dam and he wasn't being very industrious. I did get this, so wanted opinions. Is my lone boring bird enough to offset the huge expanse of water and light and concrete? I didn't add a texture to this, and that speckledy texture in the water is just water drops and fog exacerbated by the light. Any thoughts about that?
Attachments
water on fire (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Works for me.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm
Works for me.
I am always pleased when something works for you, Ernst!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 pm

yes..water is fine...nice image minniev, no comment for improvement

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 am

the bird has to go... Crop to the upper right so that only water and stone show. I looked at your title and until I scrolled the screen, that was all I saw. I thought for sure I was looking at flames inside a massive forge. There I saw that and said that and now I can enjoy the bird and his environment and he looks fine. It is a great capture!

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 pm
yes..water is fine...nice image minniev, no comment for improvement
Thank you Frank
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 am
the bird has to go... Crop to the upper right so that only water and stone show. I looked at your title and until I scrolled the screen, that was all I saw. I thought for sure I was looking at flames inside a massive forge. There I saw that and said that and now I can enjoy the bird and his environment and he looks fine. It is a great capture!
Thanks Piet for an interesting review! I thought this one might be something I could make a creative composite with. No ideas yet so if you think of one, share it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm
The light on the dam in fog, and at certain hours, is almost always interesting. But the birds don't always cooperate. This morning there was one lone bird working beneath the dam and he wasn't being very industrious. I did get this, so wanted opinions. Is my lone boring bird enough to offset the huge expanse of water and light and concrete? I didn't add a texture to this, and that speckledy texture in the water is just water drops and fog exacerbated by the light. Any thoughts about that?


Another masterpiece in the works !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 am
the bird has to go... Crop to the upper right so that only water and stone show. I looked at your title and until I scrolled the screen, that was all I saw. I thought for sure I was looking at flames inside a massive forge. There I saw that and said that and now I can enjoy the bird and his environment and he looks fine. It is a great capture!
Thanks Piet for an interesting review! I thought this one might be something I could make a creative composite with. No ideas yet so if you think of one, share it.

You certainly have extra room for a composite. First thing that comes to mind is place one of your dam birds in a nose dive towards the bird on display. Maybe even two with feathers floating about but not so much to take anything away from the original image.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks Piet for an interesting review! I thought this one might be something I could make a creative composite with. No ideas yet so if you think of one, share it.
You certainly have extra room for a composite. First thing that comes to mind is place one of your dam birds in a nose dive towards the bird on display. Maybe even two with feathers floating about but not so much to take anything away from the original image.
Dave
[/quote]

I thought of adding a fairy in the keyhole... I don't have any photos of fairies, though, so I'd have to steal one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests