Animals Critiquelesser egret

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

lesser egret

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 am

lesser egret stopped over to do it's stretching exercises - was happy to see it this afternoon - good company and then flew away!

pretty much was at a loss about this one so I just mindlessly played and this is where I stopped...
egret.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 am

Thought it was Audabon,really did. Egret tai-chi or yoga. Great work on the feathers. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 am
Thought it was Audabon,really did. Egret tai-chi or yoga. Great work on the feathers. Matt
LOL - thank you Matt, might have to work on the one where it has it's leg stretched out. My first shots were blown, then I remembered Minnie's advise for white birds and lowered the ISO (normally I shoot with all manual except for Auto ISO)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 am
lesser egret stopped over to do it's stretching exercises - was happy to see it this afternoon - good company and then flew away!

pretty much was at a loss about this one so I just mindlessly played and this is where I stopped...
egret.jpg
I love these little guys with their yellow galoshes! They look like tiny clowns when they mix it up with the great whites and blues. You have a tack sharp capture with rich detail in the feathers, face and feet and a lot of implied energy. You know I love this. And the texture you used is a good Audubonesque choice.

I might mitigate the shadow his wings casts just a little to see how that might work . I often have this dilemma with dam birds shot in full sun, a wing or neck casting a dark shadow. I’d probably cut back the yellows on the feathers a bit, but that’s an artistic choice and your intent is paramount. But I often end up “bleaching”my egrets a bit as they absorb colors (usually yellow or blues) from the light, their surroundings, or the things I subject them to in post, far more than the herons do.

This is a gem. I hope you’ll post others from this series.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am

minniev wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 am

egret.jpg
I love these little guys with their yellow galoshes! They look like tiny clowns when they mix it up with the great whites and blues. You have a tack sharp capture with rich detail in the feathers, face and feet and a lot of implied energy. You know I love this. And the texture you used is a good Audubonesque choice.

I might mitigate the shadow his wings casts just a little to see how that might work . I often have this dilemma with dam birds shot in full sun, a wing or neck casting a dark shadow. I’d probably cut back the yellows on the feathers a bit, but that’s an artistic choice and your intent is paramount. But I often end up “bleaching”my egrets a bit as they absorb colors (usually yellow or blues) from the light, their surroundings, or the things I subject them to in post, far more than the herons do.

This is a gem. I hope you’ll post others from this series.
Thank you for your advise with this Min. I will add the bleaching and see what happens, and I think the shadow idea is a good one.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm

You should play mindlessly more often........minniev has made good points as usual...although I rather like the drama of the shadow. Well done Piet

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm
You should play mindlessly more often........minniev has made good points as usual...although I rather like the drama of the shadow. Well done Piet
I agree with leaving the shadow there, it might look unnatural to remove it, but mitigating it some. It doesn’t always work but when it does, it simply lessens the distraction of a body part bisected by shadow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm
I agree with leaving the shadow there, it might look unnatural to remove it, but mitigating it some. It doesn’t always work but when it does, it simply lessens the distraction of a body part bisected by shadow.
Maybe I should have used the word strength....I did not mean to infer you meant removing it....

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Wow, that's powerful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"