"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Animals CritiqueJack the Wasp

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Jack the Wasp

Post by PietFrancke » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Attempting to get an illustrative look (like Duck's Pumpkin Man) to the wasp image. I ran the starting image through the colored pencil action and played with settings for an hour or so. I think there is great opportunity in the cleaner illustrative type of look for macro images. I think they have greater interest and that there is an opportunity to separate out the form aspects of an image keeping detail and form structure but getting rid of endless overwhelming muck.

Color wise I tried to bring out the reds and yellows mildly but took the blues and tried to deepen them to contrast against the warm colors. I tried real hard to avoid too much saturation...
JackTheWasp.jpg

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 am

Piet this is fabulous.....I am trying to gather some thoughts that might help but am having a hard time as what you've described is what you've presented, just awesome.....of course you know Duck is gonna get after you for not posting in artistic expression critique.......

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 12:52 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 am
Piet this is fabulous.....I am trying to gather some thoughts that might help but am having a hard time as what you've described is what you've presented, just awesome.....of course you know Duck is gonna get after you for not posting in artistic expression critique.......
LOL - thank you Frank. I am wondering if I should "over paint" it with light and with dark (dodging and burning) to give it more form and shape and perhaps blend/blur while I do it, but I'm not sure that I can pull it off. I might give it a shot tomorrow.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4244
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 am

Wonderful artistic rendering. I would never have thought of bug-art, but this is beautiful. Your color enhancement works well. Did you bring in any of the original image with layers, or is all this the resulting pencil sketch? Is this an action where you control the area that is "worked on" before the action begins? If so, how do you decide where to direct the focus area, and then what do you do? Do you select with a brush or some other selection tool? If a brush, what kind and how do you choose?

I don't know enough about actions to offer technical critique. But I do have a little tiny opinion about something. The little stalk in the lower third that runs into the Jack's butt (do wasps have those?) seems to have rendered a little awkwardly. I might get rid of it or mitigate it some way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 am

minniev wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 am
Wonderful artistic rendering. I would never have thought of bug-art, but this is beautiful. Your color enhancement works well. Did you bring in any of the original image with layers, or is all this the resulting pencil sketch? Is this an action where you control the area that is "worked on" before the action begins? If so, how do you decide where to direct the focus area, and then what do you do? Do you select with a brush or some other selection tool? If a brush, what kind and how do you choose?

I don't know enough about actions to offer technical critique. But I do have a little tiny opinion about something. The little stalk in the lower third that runs into the Jack's butt (do wasps have those?) seems to have rendered a little awkwardly. I might get rid of it or mitigate it some way.
Hi Min, there are three things that bug me about Jack's butt, I don't know which of those three items bug you the most. Probably the thin branch that goes a long ways. On my next rendition I will work on them.

The original image was a pretty good start to things, and the action did most of the work. On top of the background layer (the starting place), I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp.

After the action ran, I added a paper texture to the background area of what the action gave me, and I turned off and back on every layer so that I could see what that particular layer did. And then I adjusted that layer in opacity or masking to reduce whatever effect was present to my liking.

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I spent some time attempting to blend out white speckles and gunk, and lightened the items that Minnie mentioned at the Butt and then I used a technique Frank showed me to spread out the exposure. I think that will be my new favorite trick if I can remember it. It was the exposure adjustment and then play with offset and gamma correction.

Also, I duplicated the image a couple of times, once in multiply and once in screen and then painted the masks to brighten lights and deepen shadows. I hope I did not overdo it, it is hard for me to tell - it seems the longer I look at it, the more my judgement suffers.
JackTheWasp2.jpg

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Jack now seems to be the center of attention...well done and not over in my opinion Piet..looking forward to a series of this style..

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm
Jack now seems to be the center of attention...well done and not over in my opinion Piet..looking forward to a series of this style..
thank you for your help and feedback Frank, I surely appreciate it!!!

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat May 19, 2018 2:52 pm

I think Jack is fabulous.I like the original, slightly ethereal version better. My first thought was that Jack looks like he could be the cover art on a Science Fiction book. He looks metallic, armored. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 pm

thanks Chuck, I hear what you say. About Wasps... yeah, I love that metallic body armor type of look that they have. I think they are the dark flying Knights of the insect world. Before this summer is over, I hope I can capture/kill a green-headed fly and do a good macro of it's chainsaw mouth part.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests