The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Animals CritiqueJack the Wasp

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Jack the Wasp

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat May 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Piet, Not surprisingly, this is all a very foreign language for me, but the result is stunning. I won't tarnish it with a haiku effort. But I would suggest a playful edit, just for the play; flip the image 90 degrees to the left for the WWI dive bomber effect. Or, if there is some way of inverting the image so that Jack is facing right and horizontal, try that. Well, maybe not. Can you imagine what Audubon would have done with this tool? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:49 pm
Piet, Not surprisingly, this is all a very foreign language for me, but the result is stunning. I won't tarnish it with a haiku effort. But I would suggest a playful edit, just for the play; flip the image 90 degrees to the left for the WWI dive bomber effect. Or, if there is some way of inverting the image so that Jack is facing right and horizontal, try that. Well, maybe not. Can you imagine what Audubon would have done with this tool? Matt
LOL, he started on the horizontal and I rotated to make him look like he is climbing the beanstalk. I take your point that horizontal is more natural and in many ways more suiting for mood.

I can not even begin to imagine what a master like Audubon or the old world painters might have done with a tool like PS. It is fast and powerful and does not poison the body like the old paints and lead did. The only theory that I can come up with regarding why we don't see a current day Audubon on Turner is that they simply have not been found/recognized. Or a sadder theory that they learned the hard and long way and in today's world we are shallow in comarison..

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 am
minniev wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 am
Wonderful artistic rendering. I would never have thought of bug-art, but this is beautiful. Your color enhancement works well. Did you bring in any of the original image with layers, or is all this the resulting pencil sketch? Is this an action where you control the area that is "worked on" before the action begins? If so, how do you decide where to direct the focus area, and then what do you do? Do you select with a brush or some other selection tool? If a brush, what kind and how do you choose?

I don't know enough about actions to offer technical critique. But I do have a little tiny opinion about something. The little stalk in the lower third that runs into the Jack's butt (do wasps have those?) seems to have rendered a little awkwardly. I might get rid of it or mitigate it some way.
Hi Min, there are three things that bug me about Jack's butt, I don't know which of those three items bug you the most. Probably the thin branch that goes a long ways. On my next rendition I will work on them.

The original image was a pretty good start to things, and the action did most of the work. On top of the background layer (the starting place), I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp.

After the action ran, I added a paper texture to the background area of what the action gave me, and I turned off and back on every layer so that I could see what that particular layer did. And then I adjusted that layer in opacity or masking to reduce whatever effect was present to my liking.
I like the New Jack without the twig on his butt. Please explain to me what you mean by "paint" here: I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp. I'm not sure if you're freehanding, or using tracing, or exactly which PS tool you're using and how. I understand the paper texture.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat May 19, 2018 9:54 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 am
minniev wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 am
Wonderful artistic rendering. I would never have thought of bug-art, but this is beautiful. Your color enhancement works well. Did you bring in any of the original image with layers, or is all this the resulting pencil sketch? Is this an action where you control the area that is "worked on" before the action begins? If so, how do you decide where to direct the focus area, and then what do you do? Do you select with a brush or some other selection tool? If a brush, what kind and how do you choose?

I don't know enough about actions to offer technical critique. But I do have a little tiny opinion about something. The little stalk in the lower third that runs into the Jack's butt (do wasps have those?) seems to have rendered a little awkwardly. I might get rid of it or mitigate it some way.
Hi Min, there are three things that bug me about Jack's butt, I don't know which of those three items bug you the most. Probably the thin branch that goes a long ways. On my next rendition I will work on them.

The original image was a pretty good start to things, and the action did most of the work. On top of the background layer (the starting place), I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp.

After the action ran, I added a paper texture to the background area of what the action gave me, and I turned off and back on every layer so that I could see what that particular layer did. And then I adjusted that layer in opacity or masking to reduce whatever effect was present to my liking.
I like the New Jack without the twig on his butt. Please explain to me what you mean by "paint" here: I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp. I'm not sure if you're freehanding, or using tracing, or exactly which PS tool you're using and how. I understand the paper texture.
LOL - the English Language, or any language is so damn hard because we just plain don't read minds. "Paint" is meant in the simplist of terms. To move the mouse or pencil and leave marks on the canvas. The leaving of marks, the making of strokes, the moving of the brush while the ink is active and dropping pixels onto the screen. To Paint. For the action I used, the layer is required to be called "ga" and is a transparent layer excepting of course the virtual paint that is brushed on to it.

The photoshop tool used was the brush. The technique used was freehanding - but since the layer being painted on is transparent, it is more like tracing. I used a large, soft, round brush with an opacity around 70 percent and I made sure to do repeated strokes in the central areas. The original layer is Gone, but the below is a good approximation.
paint.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 am

I really love how this is coming along. If you're interested, I just posted a quick tutorial on how I approach these actions. Check it out at Artistic Photoshop Action Tips in the tutorial section. Hopefully you can find some little nugget of info to help you on your process here. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 am

a sadder theory that they learned the hard and long way

Yes. We have a painter friend -- we have bought about 7 of his paintings -- who lives hand to mouth some years even though he is in international collections, has won gold awards and has had one of his works on the front page of a prestigious art magazine. He has tried to "diversify" by doing a blog, website, and prints but all that takes him away from his painting. So far, he has stayed the course, but for how long is unclear. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun May 20, 2018 2:15 am

minniev wrote:
Please explain to me what you mean by "paint" here: I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp. I'm not sure if you're freehanding, or using tracing, or exactly which PS tool you're using and how. I understand the paper texture.
For a more in depth look at the process check out the tutorial I just put up in the tutorial section; Artistic Photoshop Action Tips. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 3:07 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 am
a sadder theory that they learned the hard and long way

Yes. We have a painter friend -- we have bought about 7 of his paintings -- who lives hand to mouth some years even though he is in international collections, has won gold awards and has had one of his works on the front page of a prestigious art magazine. He has tried to "diversify" by doing a blog, website, and prints but all that takes him away from his painting. So far, he has stayed the course, but for how long is unclear. Matt
that is awful... at least he does what he loves to do.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 3:08 am

Duck wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:15 am
minniev wrote:
Please explain to me what you mean by "paint" here: I placed an empty layer and with a large soft brush set to a high opacity I painted the wasp and the vines to the left. I left the edges of the wasp slightly soft but I used repeated strokes in the center areas of the wasp. I'm not sure if you're freehanding, or using tracing, or exactly which PS tool you're using and how. I understand the paper texture.
For a more in depth look at the process check out the tutorial I just put up in the tutorial section; Artistic Photoshop Action Tips. :thumbup:
thank you. Thank You Very Much!!!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 am

One more shot at the thing.... I don't see this as an improvement, but I ran another action on the image, on the pencil drawing image. I hated the results, but there were a lot of interesting colors, so I thought I would save and blend in the colors that I found useful. Someday I will be smart enough to pick my own proper colors, but in the interim, I thought this approach was fun.
JackTheWasp4.jpg