"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Animals CritiqueLooking out -A different kind of portrait...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Looking out -A different kind of portrait...

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:12 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am
A unique image that immediately jumps in ones face. This is one the grows on me .... like right now !!! Well worth a second or third look for sure. Thinking out of the box sure does pay off sometimes.
Dave
Thank you Dave. It is an odd one, like some of your unusual street shots,where you do have to think a bit. I don't know that I've ever got this close to one from behind.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 pm
Well, I had to have something to do while I'm housebound, and so I tried to learn some things about clipping masks. Took this wacky shot of Mr. Blue Heron between my eye surgeries. Not the usual thing I do, but he was close enough that I could focus on him without being able to see him :|
With the eyes, and the dark feathers leading down I see a face and a long bill against the white of the neck. It's it amazing! S-
A hidden picture. I saw that too. HIs blue "hat" is laid down his neck, and is indeed beaklike. Moreso in the version I converted to monochrome, where the blue doesn't give it away.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:04 pm
This is one of those prints I would appreciate seeing live rather than on a screen. I can picture this being done as a reverse transfer onto a textured paper or even on wood, with a deckled edge on both the transfer and the textured paper. Of course, if you put it on dark paper some areas may need to be bleached.
Ah Dear Duck, you've lost me. I'll look up reverse transfer to see what you are talking about. I do know "deckled" and love that effect, have tried without success to create a photoshop template for that edge. My printer offers it as an option though. I can't figure out the rest since I don't know about the transfer terminology. So much to learn.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:54 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm
Ah Dear Duck, you've lost me. I'll look up reverse transfer to see what you are talking about. I do know "deckled" and love that effect, have tried without success to create a photoshop template for that edge. My printer offers it as an option though. I can't figure out the rest since I don't know about the transfer terminology. So much to learn.

Sorry, sorry, sorry... :dunce:
Reverse transfer is where you print your image in reverse onto good quality paper and then use a decoupage technique to apply it to a substrate (in this case, natural fiber paper or wood). This first video describes the process in general. From experience I find Modge Podge to be rather thick. I have thinned it out with a couple drops of water. Some people have use PVA glue but I find that leaves to stiff a 'hand' on some substrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3qZR8ahlk

You can get that deckled edge by using the texture of your brush at the edges of the image. If you don't completely cover to the edges, leaving some rough edging with the decoupage medium, you avoid getting that very straight edge. Another way of getting a natural deckled edge is to tear the paper along the edge of the printed image. Finally, as in this next video, you can simply print the image with a deckled edge, but if you make several iterations they will all look the same with the same printed deckled edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_z10CkDt0I

In this second video, they are demonstrating a special paper developed for this technique. I haven't used it so i can't attest to it, but it looks super easy to use.

Hope this gives you some answers.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage