The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Animals Critiquedapper flapper flim flam man

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

dapper flapper flim flam man

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:09 pm

a rework of an earlier image - striving for an illustrative type look (like I know what That means!)..
dapperFlapperFlimFlamMan.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Whatever it is I like it! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 pm
Whatever it is I like it! (OK)
thanks Chiuck

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:09 pm
a rework of an earlier image - striving for an illustrative type look (like I know what That means!)..dapperFlapperFlimFlamMan.jpg
It's really nice Piet. Now you have to tell us what you did...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm not sure either Piet so not sure if you met your goal but do like the image...well done.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 am

thanks Minnie and Frank. I started with this: (an already processed image, I was too lazy to find the raw file)..
dapperO-1.jpg
First I opened ACR as a filter and slid "light" to the left and "shadow" to the right and then brought the white point back to the right. This recovered a lot of the detail.

ThenI added some textures, did a lot of burning to get rid of light areas in the background. Once I had a decent background, then I worked the image in three distinct areas (using masks), the background, the lesser parts of the bird (far away parts), and the focal parts of the bird (head, neck, close wing).

The far parts got reduced saturation, reduced lighting, and reduced contrast. The near parts got to keep some of the saturation, got an increase in contrast, and got to be brighter than the parts further back.

And then at the end I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Topaz Simplify that I used and did a "Color Sketch". It looked horrible, but when I reduced the opacity and turned the blend mode to "multiply", It made the image look a little cartoony (in a good way). So I figured it must look "illustrative" and put it up. LOL.

To my credit, I am working really hard to look carefully at changes and then choose if it helps or hurts and to apply some strategy and to learn more about artistic principles and to limit the changes to only the areas where it helps. I don't know that I am successful, but I am Trying to learn more, not so much How to make changes, but rather What changes would improve the image.

To my discredit, I think in a number of ways the image I started with looks more natural, those are areas where I failed to see the difference that makes a difference!

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am

Piet, the processing really draws one in, to focus on the face area. I like it very much and while experimenting with various processing styles, it can only help one's growth.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 am
To my credit, I am working really hard to look carefully at changes and then choose if it helps or hurts and to apply some strategy and to learn more about artistic principles and to limit the changes to only the areas where it helps. I don't know that I am successful, but I am Trying to learn more, not so much How to make changes, but rather What changes would improve the image.

To my discredit, I think in a number of ways the image I started with looks more natural, those are areas where I failed to see the difference that makes a difference!
This is an awesome self analysis and, personally, I think all posts in the critique section should have some kind of artist statement like this to help guide the critique for a more pointed evaluation. We should all start getting into the habit of doing something like this to avoid the more standard (and less helpful) "attaboy" responses.

Personally, I love this image for the simple reason that it's not a standard bird photo. There is a lot of action in the self contained activity caught in the tight framing, which keeps the image simple without being boring. Layered on that is the interesting dappled light that really pulls the eye into the subject. Burning down the background to minimize distraction blends in well with the existing light so that was a good choice. Everything else is just salt to taste and my feeling is that it works well.

A very captivating image worthy of showcasing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:06 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am
Piet, the processing really draws one in, to focus on the face area. I like it very much and while experimenting with various processing styles, it can only help one's growth.
Dave
thanks Dave, I figure playing is the best form of research/learning. Practice makes perfect, but only if it is perfect practice, so definitely, I am only at the playing stage.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:49 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 am

This is an awesome self analysis and, personally, I think all posts in the critique section should have some kind of artist statement like this to help guide the critique for a more pointed evaluation. We should all start getting into the habit of doing something like this to avoid the more standard (and less helpful) "attaboy" responses.

Personally, I love this image for the simple reason that it's not a standard bird photo. There is a lot of action in the self contained activity caught in the tight framing, which keeps the image simple without being boring. Layered on that is the interesting dappled light that really pulls the eye into the subject. Burning down the background to minimize distraction blends in well with the existing light so that was a good choice. Everything else is just salt to taste and my feeling is that it works well.

A very captivating image worthy of showcasing.
thanks Duck. Thanks a lot. My goal for photographic improvement is to gain and develop artistic skills. (The very skills that you yourself are loaded with by training and background). I figure that it is (for me) the best way to get my images to be stronger and it is a lot of fun too. I struggle with "seeing". Once something is seen, it can be dealt with, even if dealt with poorly, but when one is blind, then even an elephant isn't recognized. I want to SEE.