Animals Critiquedapper flapper flim flam man

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: dapper flapper flim flam man

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm

This is a superlative and valuable thread and exchange. I benefit greatly from reading the self-reflections people provide. Thank you, Piet. And thank you, Duck, for the straight-arrow mentoring; only that helps. It doesn't hurt, as Piet has noted.

Question: how do I bookmark or tag this page so I can return to it?

And Piet, with a nose like that, no wonder that flim had to flam. Man! Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm
This is a superlative and valuable thread and exchange. I benefit greatly from reading the self-reflections people provide. Thank you, Piet. And thank you, Duck, for the straight-arrow mentoring; only that helps. It doesn't hurt, as Piet has noted.

And Piet, with a nose like that, no wonder that flim had to flam. Man! Matt
there is Nothing Wrong with my Nose! Oh, you mean the bird's nose, I got all defensive for nuttin... sniff

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm
[...] I struggle with "seeing". Once something is seen, it can be dealt with, even if dealt with poorly, but when one is blind, then even an elephant isn't recognized. I want to SEE.

The good news is that can be learned. Seeing creatively is a matter of applying what you know to what you create. The more you know the more you can apply. Oversimplified? Yes, but the foundation is what matters.

Ask any successful writer what their number one advice is and they'll tell you, "read more."
Ask any successful chef what their number one advice is and they'll tell you, "eat more interesting foods."
Heck, even in the art world the number one saying is, "all great artists 'borrow' inspiration from other artists."

See the theme here? If you want to get better at being creative you need to look at creative work that resonates and inspires you. The creativity comes from interpreting those influences into your own imagery. It's not copying since everything about the process will be different; the subject, the light, the equipment and your interpretations.

Where the disconnect (and frustrations) lie is in not having the technical skills to apply your vision, but that too can be overcome. Take classes and put in practice time to learn and hone new skills. Or, as they say in showbiz, "how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!"
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Matt, when you respond to a post the topic automatically gets added to your notifications. Any new posts made to this topic will give you an alert (depending on your settings) that someone has commented. This will show up in the Notifications tab in the menu above.

A bookmark allows you to retain a quick link to this topic regardless of any notifications. Useful for referring back, as you want. TO do that just go to the top of the page. Next to the Post Reply button is an icon of a wrench. Click on that and you'll see the option to bookmark this page.

To manage your bookmarks, go to your User Control Panel (accessible from the Hello, Matt Quinn tab in the menu above) then click on the Manage Bookmarks tab there.

Reach out to me if you have any issues.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm
[...] I struggle with "seeing". Once something is seen, it can be dealt with, even if dealt with poorly, but when one is blind, then even an elephant isn't recognized. I want to SEE.

The good news is that can be learned. Seeing creatively is a matter of applying what you know to what you create. The more you know the more you can apply. Oversimplified? Yes, but the foundation is what matters.

Ask any successful writer what their number one advice is and they'll tell you, "read more."
Ask any successful chef what their number one advice is and they'll tell you, "eat more interesting foods."
Heck, even in the art world the number one saying is, "all great artists 'borrow' inspiration from other artists."

See the theme here? If you want to get better at being creative you need to look at creative work that resonates and inspires you. The creativity comes from interpreting those influences into your own imagery. It's not copying since everything about the process will be different; the subject, the light, the equipment and your interpretations.

Where the disconnect (and frustrations) lie is in not having the technical skills to apply your vision, but that too can be overcome. Take classes and put in practice time to learn and hone new skills. Or, as they say in showbiz, "how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!"
thanks - from this I take: Look more at the things that interest/excite you. Then, (and perhaps only then), say "how did he do that?". Or "what can I do that mimics it?". With the foundation being able to pin point "what is the aspect of this that I find interesting?", so that the next question can be "how do you do that? - what makes that work?"

In short, my homework is to find something I like, think how I might apply that to one of my pieces, and then give it a shot. With the intent that I will be exposed to more, see more, and practice the application of hopefully a new skill.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Piet, I plan to follow your journey. Keep posting please. I will learn from you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 pm
thanks - from this I take: Look more at the things that interest/excite you. Then, (and perhaps only then), say "how did he do that?". Or "what can I do that mimics it?". With the foundation being able to pin point "what is the aspect of this that I find interesting?", so that the next question can be "how do you do that? - what makes that work?"

In short, my homework is to find something I like, think how I might apply that to one of my pieces, and then give it a shot. With the intent that I will be exposed to more, see more, and practice the application of hopefully a new skill.
Ah, smell that? It's a breath of fresh air!

I wish all my students were as astute as you are. You got it, right on the nose.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:01 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:23 pm
Piet, I plan to follow your journey. Keep posting please. I will learn from you. Matt
thank you Matt, indeed.. we learn from each other!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:05 am

Duck wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Ah, smell that? It's a breath of fresh air!

I wish all my students were as astute as you are. You got it, right on the nose.
Thank you Duck, I will document my thinking on my next piece/thread, following that formula of find, think, copy/apply, review and spell out my thoughts. I think somebody once said that if you can't write it down, the thought didn't happen, or something like that.