"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals Critiquedragon

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

dragon

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 am

attempting to take an old image and make it look as if it Not a photo, yet still maintain a sense of realism and detail. Any ideas appreciated
dragon.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:27 am

Looks painterly enough to me Piet...well done in my opinion with no comment for improvement.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:27 am
Looks painterly enough to me Piet...well done in my opinion with no comment for improvement.
thanks Frank, here is the crop I started with, it was at ISO 8000 with a lot of noise. I guess if one goes painterly, there is no reason to fear noise any longer (since it will be blurred and textured away). I feel I moved forward a small step with the Vinny Le Pes videos.
dragonO.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm

I think it's wonderful, painterly indeed. A trick I like is to open both in tabs, enlarge to the max, and toggle between them to see the difference. One thing I must say is that I do not agree with the fuss about noise, and your original does not strike me as excessively noisy. It's certainly no noisier or grainier than a full-frame 35 mm on Tri-X, which was my go-to for many, many years. I've been happily pushing ISOs up to ludicrous numbers (most recently 12,800 I kid you not) and found that most of the visible noise was color noise, easily defeated in LR with +20 to +40 of the color noise slider. I usually use a pretty good amount of masking to minimize noise showing up in non-detail areas, but I remain as I always have been, much more interested in getting the picture, preferably sharp, than in noise. Grain/noise is what the picture is actually made of; the higher you have to push the ISO the noisier it gets, but I think it's relatively well controlled. Purely my personal opinion of course, for what it's worth. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm
I think it's wonderful, painterly indeed. A trick I like is to open both in tabs, enlarge to the max, and toggle between them to see the difference. One thing I must say is that I do not agree with the fuss about noise, and your original does not strike me as excessively noisy. It's certainly no noisier or grainier than a full-frame 35 mm on Tri-X, which was my go-to for many, many years. I've been happily pushing ISOs up to ludicrous numbers (most recently 12,800 I kid you not) and found that most of the visible noise was color noise, easily defeated in LR with +20 to +40 of the color noise slider. I usually use a pretty good amount of masking to minimize noise showing up in non-detail areas, but I remain as I always have been, much more interested in getting the picture, preferably sharp, than in noise. Grain/noise is what the picture is actually made of; the higher you have to push the ISO the noisier it gets, but I think it's relatively well controlled. Purely my personal opinion of course, for what it's worth. :)
thanks Chuck, as I get more proficient with photoshop and ACR, I am fully agreeing with you that getting a stronger exposure (to find detail), and to heck with the noise is the way to go. Noise can be defeated in post, so why limit yourself right?

I find myself making small changes and not seeing the difference and then being surprised when the image turns out so drastically different from my starting point. I think I am going to change my workflow to have the original open someplace on my desktop so that I can better see differences as they are applied.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm

I absolutely love the dragon. A simple image of nature turned to art with paint techniques and textures. You do this well. The use of the yellow lighting behind really brings the creation to life.

I too have found that for images we are targeting to this type of processing, noise is not a terrible hindrance, so with these I opt for sharpness at whatever ISO is required then fight the noise with either NIK or Noiseless if LR noise removal isn't sufficient. My camera is not ISO invariant for very long into the ISO range, so elevated ISO works better than underexposure past a certain point. The detail I give up is usually not that big a price to pay when I'm slapping a couple of textures over it anyway, and smoothing things with brushes or filters.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm
...smoothing things with brushes or filters.
smoothing things with brushes... I think I need to try this. a small brush following the shape of an object perhaps.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:04 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm
...smoothing things with brushes or filters.
smoothing things with brushes... I think I need to try this. a small brush following the shape of an object perhaps.
PS has lots of brushes. The artist brushes are good for such things, also some of the grunge brushes that you can pick up easily on the internet. There are brushes for everything, even adding water drops or unbirds.

This stuff is like a treasurebox to me. I can easily get lost in it. I love straight photography but nothing is any more fun than delving into color, paint, textures, light, and paper. I can't draw worth a flitter so PS is my creative world.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:58 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 am
attempting to take an old image and make it look as if it Not a photo, yet still maintain a sense of realism and detail. Any ideas appreciated
I started to reply with Beautiful, then I saw the original. WOW! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Both are outstanding Piet !!! The first one is the winner for sure though.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey