Animals CritiqueA Dam Bird - Bath Time

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Dam Bird - Bath Time

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm

This fellow was alone at the dam, when many of his peers are working hard in the rookery building nests and flirting with the ladies. There is one lady at the dam, and perhaps he is courting her. Or maybe he just isn't quite ready to settle down. Maybe I should add her to the dark background of the image to help him out?
Attachments
birddam.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 am

Personally I would not change a thing, but it might be interesting to see what it would look like with the lady in the background. I certainly don't see it as necessary. The composition is flawlessly balanced with the single bird ruffling his feathers in the spray. He looks a tad blue but I take that to be from skylight. If I'd made it I might try neutralizing him to white just to see, but that would warm the whole thing, and I have an idea that it is actually uncomfortably chilly down there even in warm weather.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am

minniev....I realize you put this in showcase and I like it but fear I would be doing you an injustice to not ask about the black, upper right....and am also wondering if you added some canvas at the bottom as I see some duplicate waves...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:47 am

or a crop.. this is a Dam cool place!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 am
Personally I would not change a thing, but it might be interesting to see what it would look like with the lady in the background. I certainly don't see it as necessary. The composition is flawlessly balanced with the single bird ruffling his feathers in the spray. He looks a tad blue but I take that to be from skylight. If I'd made it I might try neutralizing him to white just to see, but that would warm the whole thing, and I have an idea that it is actually uncomfortably chilly down there even in warm weather.
Thanks I shall try bleaching him a bit! I may try adding a friend too.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am
minniev....I realize you put this in showcase and I like it but fear I would be doing you an injustice to not ask about the black, upper right....and am also wondering if you added some canvas at the bottom as I see some duplicate waves...
YIKES. I dunno Frank but glad you found it, even if I feel silly about it. You've been telling me for a while it was time for me to get these cataracts fixed, and my eye doctor now agrees with you so next week the first round is scheduled. Repairs ahead for the egret, too.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Here is the correct version. There could still be something wrong with it because my eyes are no better than they were an hour ago.

However, I did go back to the layered file to find the culprit, a working layer where I was experimenting with stuff, and which I mean to get rid of but didn't. Anytime I post something totally bizarre, I can usually track it to a rogue layer that I didn't delete or turn off. Am I the only one who does stuff like this?

I also de-blued the bird a bit, maybe too much, not sure...
Attachments
eg (1 of 1).jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Yes!!.....Bahahaha, just kidding.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am
Boy do you have sharp eyes! Your comment prompted me to look again; I had noticed the black mark but paid it no mind, figuring Minnie would catch it and attend to it. But the duplicate waves? Don't see them. I do see some muddiness 1/3 of the way up on right and left and am puzzled by its lack of texture. Gotta get these cataracts removed.

Maybe this dude is a confirmed bachelor who likes his evenings and weekends to himself.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Min, great to hear you're going to get the cataracts taken care of. Daphne had both eyes done years ago and was astonished at the difference, plus the lenses she chose were for distance vision and she could see better than ever because she was always nearsighted. She never regretted it, and it was not at all as traumatic as we both maybe feared. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|