"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Animals CritiqueWhy I Don't Use Waders In the Swamp

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Why I Don't Use Waders In the Swamp

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 am

rmalarz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm
Very nice photographs, Minnie. I might give waders a go. Perhaps they don't like the taste of waders. Though, I'm not asking you to find out.
--Bob
Thanks Bob, actually I'm more afraid of the water moccasins than the alligators. I have a thing about poisonous snakes. One of the few animals I can bear to kill.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 am

I'm not much of a fan of poisonous snakes either. I tend to give them a lot of room. However, a few years ago, I photographed a rattlesnake that was crawling across a road in northern Az. Nothing like laying in the middle of a roadway to photograph a snake. I'll post those later this evening. I had a good friend of mine head "downstream" and flag and warn people driving on this highway that there was someone laying in the roadway.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:29 pm

:o No waders. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope... Min, didn't you tell us that they brummate with their snouts just out of the ice? I have seen some pictures of that someplace.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 am

Duck wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:36 pm
Get waders that look like Godzilla legs walking through their territory. Those gators will scatter like scared chickens. :rofl:
You have a wonderful sense of humor. We should be friends! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 am

I was dreaming of wearing waders through your swamp, if just to get a little closer, but kept wondering if the snakes would crawl in.

I'm off to dream of other things! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 pm

I think they are exc3llent images, Min. Were I there (I’m assuming you are on the boardwalk you occasionally include in your swamp images) I would try to observe the old rule about getting down to your subject’s eye level by using my camera’s articulated display screen in the “waist level” position...perhaps by lying prone on the boardwalk and holding the camera (with neck strap well-secured on my neck) over the edge and as close to water level as I could while focusing.

Good job, Min!

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:29 pm
:o No waders. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope... Min, didn't you tell us that they brummate with their snouts just out of the ice? I have seen some pictures of that someplace.
I did not see any of my gators with their noses out of the ice, but then our swamp didn't freeze as solid as some lakes do. I looked for them!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 pm
I think they are exc3llent images, Min. Were I there (I’m assuming you are on the boardwalk you occasionally include in your swamp images) I would try to observe the old rule about getting down to your subject’s eye level by using my camera’s articulated display screen in the “waist level” position...perhaps by lying prone on the boardwalk and holding the camera (with neck strap well-secured on my neck) over the edge and as close to water level as I could while focusing.

Good job, Min!

Dave
Thank ya Dave! I was crouched on the downslope of the bank closest to them for this shot. Their posing logs are too far from the boardwalk for it to be any help. I haven't spent as much time crawling on the ground in the swamp as I did before I wrecked my knees, but I'll be looking for other angles and possibilities. Spring is the best time to catch them basking.