"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Animals CritiqueA Brace of Dam Birds

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Brace of Dam Birds

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

This is a sequence but each is processed differently. I'd hope for suggestions, preferences, or edits, whatever anyone wants to share.
Attachments
dbtw (3 of 3).jpg
dbtw (1 of 3).jpg
dbtw (2 of 3).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm

I like the frame in a frame aspect of all of these. I think I like the textures and colors of the first one best. It might be worth flipping the direction the bird is facing in one and two (or sliding the bird to the right) so that they have greater space in front of them (I don't know if the light would still work on them properly, but it might, since most is coming from above.

One is my favorite - I don't know if bird moving is a good idea or not, it is starting to grow on me "as is" more and more. One other thing about one.. the shadow line of the stone going through the birds head is a bummer. If you were to move the bird, perhaps scale it larger or perhaps reduce contrast on that shadow line in the stone.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm very drawn to #1 and #2, with a slight preference for #2 because the dam bird stands out better with the dark surround. I think it works very well in monochrome, but I could wish s/he was not almost about to rap her beak on the massif in front of her. If only s/he'd back up about a beak's length. Dam birds. ;)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm very drawn to the massive geometry of #1 against the delicate bird. Curious how whiter water and whiter bird would look? I'm not feeling #2 because of the large amounts of black - ironic since you're usually about lifting shadows and I'm about silhouettes or contrasts :) I like the position of the legs in #3 but not its head. The black totally surrounding the centered light works better for me than the composition of #2 since I'm not tempted to look to the outside edge. I'm compelled to stay focused in the center.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm
I like the frame in a frame aspect of all of these. I think I like the textures and colors of the first one best. It might be worth flipping the direction the bird is facing in one and two (or sliding the bird to the right) so that they have greater space in front of them (I don't know if the light would still work on them properly, but it might, since most is coming from above.

One is my favorite - I don't know if bird moving is a good idea or not, it is starting to grow on me "as is" more and more. One other thing about one.. the shadow line of the stone going through the birds head is a bummer. If you were to move the bird, perhaps scale it larger or perhaps reduce contrast on that shadow line in the stone.
I have moved birds before so may try with this one, thanks for the idea.

Those birds are not very obedient. I think fooling with the contrast along that line may be more fruitful than tinkering with the bird's size. Good idea!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm
I'm very drawn to #1 and #2, with a slight preference for #2 because the dam bird stands out better with the dark surround. I think it works very well in monochrome, but I could wish s/he was not almost about to rap her beak on the massif in front of her. If only s/he'd back up about a beak's length. Dam birds. ;)
Hey Chuck, glad to have you back in the land of the living, and hope you're on the mend. As I told Piet, the birds are not very obedient. I might could back the bird up a bit, and actually thought about it with this one because it's so close, but haven't given it a go yet. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm
I'm very drawn to the massive geometry of #1 against the delicate bird. Curious how whiter water and whiter bird would look? I'm not feeling #2 because of the large amounts of black - ironic since you're usually about lifting shadows and I'm about silhouettes or contrasts :) I like the position of the legs in #3 but not its head. The black totally surrounding the centered light works better for me than the composition of #2 since I'm not tempted to look to the outside edge. I'm compelled to stay focused in the center.
The shots around this "keyhole" feature always seem to have geometry at their core. #1 is the only one enhanced with texture to bring out the rough, mottled surfaces of the concrete structure. I usually don't go for the dark, but I've had a few dam birds that just sorts ended up that way. They've all three been bleached a little, they were quite blue in the originals from the shadows - but I can experiment with some further bleaching and see :) Thanks for these ideas!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:31 am

The first is the best and the keyhole works perfectly to frame the bird. Love Those Dam Birds! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"