"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiqueFighting Cocks Displaying (Not actually fighting)

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Fighting Cocks Displaying (Not actually fighting)

Post by Graham Smith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I came across a small group of men in Sarenga market. Some had the birds in cages others with them under their arms.

It appeared that they were there just to show off their birds but I do know that, although illegal, cock fighting is quite common in Indian villages.

No fighting took place while I was there, they just demonstrated their birds aggression. Of course I don't know what happened after I left.
IND_2185.jpg
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

A powerful and well taken photo. We can see by the "weaponry" what is going to happen when they do being the fight.

In Mississippi, cockfighting and dogfighting are fairly common, though illegal and done in secret. I've never got close enough to an actual "event" to take a picture, though I've come upon a circular fighting pit in the woods. The desire we as humans have for bloody competition is a strange thing to me but it has persisted through the millennia, so it's clearly ingrained in the human psyche in some morbid way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Agreed Minnie. When I lived in the Philippines, I often encountered vendors at village markets who were selling and called out asking whether I wanted to buy or to see them fight. We Americans were always called "Joe." "Hey Joe, you buy I sell." The inherent and evident violent aggression of the bird actually frightened me. I always walked away and never saw a fight but did see the rings and some evidence of the fights. Awful. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 am

makes cowardly soft me shudder - I guess I could imagine being the proud owner of the strong winner, but I could more easily imagine being the sad owner whose bird/dog is lying in the mud. The audience wants violence, the owner wants money, the animal wants blood - and pays a hefty price for that want. This is not a story of compassion.

Makes me wonder if being a boxing fan could indicate political leanings - or perhaps it is in all of us, "the beast within". (blame it on the beast again..)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 am

I like the frame within a frame with the men creating the outer ring while holding their team inside the other. It would be one thing to take a picture of the men showing off, but so much better with the one interacting with you. Well done! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"