Animals CritiqueLet the Games Begin! 2018 Dam Bird Jamboree

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Let the Games Begin! 2018 Dam Bird Jamboree

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

There is always a day, usually in January, when I go by the dam and Behold! there are birds! I'll find a stray here and there between May and January, but not a community. Today, the boys and girls were in action, and I hope it is a sign their new fishing licenses have been awarded for the year.

I couldn't get yet down the rocks - it only got to 32 today so it's still slippery, and besides, the birds had taken over the rocks too (another picture later of my usual stance with somebody else in it).

All comments are appreciated. I do suspect there are too many birds in this one, but I have others. I was too excited to remember how to turn on the pro mode on my camera for its magic shooting mode, but I remembered before I left so all was well, except for the work that mode makes for me (10 of each shot to cull through).
Attachments
jamboree (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 pm

it is too bad the one was crossing the other right when the shot happened, I love the colors and texture of water and stage. That is a dramatic stage against the rushing waters. I love their quirky poses and faces - they are full of character. All lined up and spaced apart.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 pm
it is too bad the one was crossing the other right when the shot happened, I love the colors and texture of water and stage. That is a dramatic stage against the rushing waters. I love their quirky poses and faces - they are full of character. All lined up and spaced apart.
Actually, I chose this one because of the crossover, which was part of today's melee, kind of like people cutting in front of each other at the all-you-can-eat buffet. Of course we all know I have a high tolerance for messiness in my photos, which is why I post them - this may not be one I need to include in the collection. There's more though! In an hour I shot over 1000 pictures! Many are duplicates since I don't know how to control the magic mode yet, but I do see its value. It starts collecting image data when I half-press to get focus, then when I full-press the shutter it writes the 10 previous images and 10 subsequent images to the card. So you're taking pictures of what happened right before, during and after the shutter-press. For me, the 2-3 shots right before the shutter press are usually the better ones.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am
PietFrancke wrote:
So you're taking pictures of what happened right before, during and after the shutter-press. For me, the 2-3 shots right before the shutter press are usually the better ones.
that is one nice feature!!! Filming basically, but always throwing away. Start at half push, and click means keep the series. That sounds Awesome!!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm

This is fantastic! Have you posted any from this perspective before? Probably, and I just don't remember. Sure do love the wider view for the sense of size and power against the delicate birds.

You could whiten that line of foreground icicles a bit more, I think. The orange rust on right hand end is super. I love the mess of birds and would be tempted to add another in flight :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Actually, I chose this one because of the crossover, which was part of today's melee, kind of like people cutting in front of each other at the all-you-can-eat buffet. Of course we all know I have a high tolerance for messiness in my photos, which is why I post them - this may not be one I need to include in the collection. There's more though! In an hour I shot over 1000 pictures! Many are duplicates since I don't know how to control the magic mode yet, but I do see its value. It starts collecting image data when I half-press to get focus, then when I full-press the shutter it writes the 10 previous images and 10 subsequent images to the card. So you're taking pictures of what happened right before, during and after the shutter-press. For me, the 2-3 shots right before the shutter press are usually the better ones.
Minnie,

I have never heard of the magic mode. What brand camera is it? (I have enough cameras--3; just curious.) Nothing I can find on the internet gives an explanation like yours.

I am happy to hear you shoot 1000 pictures when you go out. I may not shoot that many, but I take a lot and wonder whether I should try, as Steve-the-Spinner might suggest, using the challenge of taking only ONE photo of a scene. I don't have the discipline to avoid chocolate and suspect I would cave and shoot at least TWO. I have a card full from our January visit here to the Cape, but LR Mobile is too slow for me to download any, so I have a lot of work ahead when I get back to my iMac, probably sometime in February.

For some reason, this scene reminds me of the ROMEOS. Do you know that phrase? My wife and I first heard it some years ago when we went out to a local restaurant for lunch. The waitress explained that we had about a 15-minute wait for a table; but there was an empty table with about 8 chairs that I pointed to. She explained that the table was for the ROMEOS.

Retired old men eating out. A Thursday group.

I never go out to eat without my bride.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Minnie,

I have never heard of the magic mode. What brand camera is it? (I have enough cameras--3; just curious.) Nothing I can find on the internet gives an explanation like yours.

I am happy to hear you shoot 1000 pictures when you go out. I may not shoot that many, but I take a lot and wonder whether I should try, as Steve-the-Spinner might suggest, using the challenge of taking only ONE photo of a scene. I don't have the discipline to avoid chocolate and suspect I would cave and shoot at least TWO. I have a card full from our January visit here to the Cape, but LR Mobile is too slow for me to download any, so I have a lot of work ahead when I get back to my iMac, probably sometime in February.

For some reason, this scene reminds me of the ROMEOS. Do you know that phrase? My wife and I first heard it some years ago when we went out to a local restaurant for lunch. The waitress explained that we had about a 15-minute wait for a table; but there was an empty table with about 8 chairs that I pointed to. She explained that the table was for the ROMEOS.

Retired old men eating out. A Thursday group.

I never go out to eat without my bride.

Matt
I love the acronym ROMEOS! And yes, they are like a bunch of old fellows at the local all-you-can-eat buffet.

The magic mode is just my name for the Pro Capture mode of my Oly EM1vii. It has various options but basically it takes more pictures both before and after you press the shutter, which is a really good deal for birds. I've been comparing what I can get in the various modes I shoot birds in and my cleanest shots are in that mod, But the downfall is having to go through and pick out the keepers http://www.photographyblog.com/news/oly ... ture_mode/

I don't do well with those go-out-and-just-shoot-one assignments. I cheat. Typically on a day that I'm shooting all day in an interesting place like Scotland, I"ll shoot 300-400 shots. This magic-mode makes me shoot way more. Maybe I'll get better enough at it that I can control that better, but it reverts to electronic/silent shutter in that mode and I haven't learned how to gauge it when it's in continuous capture.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:31 pm

IF LOOKS COULD KILL...

The new season under way, the birds are already vying for control. At the moment, the blues are putting on a show of force and outnumbering/outmuscling the egrets.
Attachments
birds (1 of 1)-2.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Reply to your first pic, posted earlier in thread:

This is fantastic! Have you posted any from this perspective before? Probably, and I just don't remember. Sure do love the wider view for the sense of size and power against the delicate birds.

You could whiten that line of foreground icicles a bit more, I think. The orange rust on right hand end is super. I love the mess of birds and would be tempted to add another in flight :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks! This is from one of my typical perspectives on the high side, I’m not going down the rocks till the ice is gone, they are treacherous enough without the ice.

I agree the icicles can come up a little. They are dodged some, but perhaps can go further and get by with it. There are some shots with even more bird madness, so I probably won’t be tempted to add any. Some of them are challenging because various bird parts are entangled with pieces of other birds passing in front or behind. I love to see them excited though.