Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Hey Hay Hey

Post by St3v3M » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm
Mine is when people call spiders "insects" :)
Language is an interesting thing, but it's all a part of how we tell the story so it's important to define it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Steve, I like the looks of both images for various reasons. The original for the lighting and hazy background and the edited version for the much clearer perspective, but I think I'm leaning towards the original to be a favorite here. This image is also an encouragement for a return trip to Yellowstone.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 am

davechinn wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 pm
Steve, I like the looks of both images for various reasons. The original for the lighting and hazy background and the edited version for the much clearer perspective, but I think I'm leaning towards the original to be a favorite here. This image is also an encouragement for a return trip to Yellowstone.
Dave
Thank you so much! I've wanted to do Yellowstone for quite some time now and now I want to go even more! S-

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by uuglypher » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 pm
Steve, I hope you don't ever try to get too close to these beasts. They may lumber but, when they want, they move exceedingly fast. I knew of someone who had approached within 5 yards of one in Yellowstone and stood behind a tree to take a picture of it grazing. In a flash and before the man could react, the buffalo had turned, raced around the tree and gored the man in the leg. I don't know how the story ended; the fellow who was telling me was cautioning me on my behavior. Matt
I went to the fence once to get a closer look at a cow. He was a big one and seemed to be eating but in a blink, he was at the fence full charge. I don't think I would have made it if I was in the enclosure. The bison look docile, but I know better, thank you! S-
Steve,
You clearly are a city boy, through-and-through.
So here’s a bit more re: bison lingo:
If you went “to get a closer look at a cow” you were looking at a female. A cow, by definition, is a female of the Family Bovidae (including domestic and wild bovine species) as well as the female of a number of other large herbivores. . A male of the species is known as a bull, and is more likely to charge a person or other irritant being on the other side of a fence. A fence alone usually not being a thing expected to elicit a charge; if bison would rather a fence not be where a fence is, they will incessantly rub and lean against it until it will, unless especially strongly constructed, collapse. Persistent beasts, enclosed bison!

Dave

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 pm

I missed this the first time! I agreed that the straw (!!!) needed to be "printed down," but I liked the hazy animal and background, so my favorite is the third version: ethereal beast, darker straw. It's an overall nice shot, well balanced.

On the word thing, my biggest pet peeve (among many) is the misidentification of the lectern with the podium. Reporters and everybody constantly refer to the thingy the presenter stands behind as the podium. It is not. That is the lectern. The podium is the thing the presenter and the lectern are standing on, from the Greek pod, for foot. A soapbox used by a speaker is the podium. You stand ON the podium BEHIND the lectern! Don't ever let me hear any of you screw it up again (I'm looking at you, Washington press corps)! :thumbdown: :spank:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm
Steve,
You clearly are a city boy, through-and-through.
So here’s a bit more re: bison lingo:
If you went “to get a closer look at a cow” you were looking at a female. A cow, by definition, is a female of the Family Bovidae (including domestic and wild bovine species) as well as the female of a number of other large herbivores. . A male of the species is known as a bull, and is more likely to charge a person or other irritant being on the other side of a fence. A fence alone usually not being a thing expected to elicit a charge; if bison would rather a fence not be where a fence is, they will incessantly rub and lean against it until it will, unless especially strongly constructed, collapse. Persistent beasts, enclosed bison!

Dave
The language of a city-born, the heart of the wild! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 pm
I missed this the first time! I agreed that the straw (!!!) needed to be "printed down," but I liked the hazy animal and background, so my favorite is the third version: ethereal beast, darker straw. It's an overall nice shot, well balanced.

On the word thing, my biggest pet peeve (among many) is the misidentification of the lectern with the podium. Reporters and everybody constantly refer to the thingy the presenter stands behind as the podium. It is not. That is the lectern. The podium is the thing the presenter and the lectern are standing on, from the Greek pod, for foot. A soapbox used by a speaker is the podium. You stand ON the podium BEHIND the lectern! Don't ever let me hear any of you screw it up again (I'm looking at you, Washington press corps)! :thumbdown: :spank:
Ah, but how do you pronounce it I ask? laf

ANd thank so you much! I've been working on landscapes and forgot about this, but should return to them. Thank you again! S-