St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The American Bison

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:38 am

The American Bison
"The American bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo or simply buffalo, is a North American species of bison that once roamed the grasslands of North America in massive herds. They became nearly extinct by a combination of commercial hunting and slaughter in the 19th century and introduction of bovine diseases from domestic cattle, and have made a recent resurgence largely restricted to a few national parks and reserves. Their historical range roughly comprised a triangle between the Great Bear Lake in Canada's far northwest, south to the Mexican states of Durango and Nuevo León, and east to the Atlantic Seaboard of the United States (nearly to the Atlantic tidewater in some areas) from New York to Georgia and per some sources down to Florida. Bison were seen in North Carolina near Buffalo Ford on the Catawba River as late as 1750."

This little girl is part of a local herd that's fairly easy to access. Critique and suggestions are appreciated! S-
Attachments
IMG_6009-1wf.jpg
IMG_6009-1wf.jpg (421.35 KiB) Viewed 374 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 pm

For me, a strong portrait - definitely showing its best side :) The pp evokes the era before their slaughter and is nicely even with lighting and focus so as not to distract.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Steve,

This reminds me of a snowmobile ride my bride and I took into Yellowstone one deep winter when we lived in MT. We came around a bend in the road and braked to a quick stop: a herd of about 20 filled the road ahead of us, the steam of their breath and bodies surrounding them in a frosty cloud. They paused only momentarily to inspect us then continued across the road. They are massive beasts and fast. It was a heart-stopping moment.

Don't get too close to this little lady, amigo. Your deadly charm might not work.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Man I'm liking this image Steve. Maybe darken the background and the ground she is standing on.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm
Man I'm liking this image Steve. Maybe darken the background and the ground she is standing on.
I was looking at it again this morning and was thinking the same. Thank you so much! S-
Attachments
IMG_6009-1wf.jpg
IMG_6009-1wf.jpg (418.07 KiB) Viewed 352 times

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:38 am
The American Bison
"The American bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo or simply buffalo, is a North American species of bison that once roamed the grasslands of North America in massive herds. They became nearly extinct by a combination of commercial hunting and slaughter in the 19th century and introduction of bovine diseases from domestic cattle, and have made a recent resurgence largely restricted to a few national parks and reserves. Their historical range roughly comprised a triangle between the Great Bear Lake in Canada's far northwest, south to the Mexican states of Durango and Nuevo León, and east to the Atlantic Seaboard of the United States (nearly to the Atlantic tidewater in some areas) from New York to Georgia and per some sources down to Florida. Bison were seen in North Carolina near Buffalo Ford on the Catawba River as late as 1750."

This little girl is part of a local herd that's fairly easy to access. Critique and suggestions are appreciated! S-
This ones a beauty Steve. Great profile, and the upward angle gives it a different appeal. Good choice in the processing department. Buffalos seem to work out well in sepia tones - Chinn posted a nice one a while back, and I've seen one by Jack Spencer that sold for many thousands.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm
This ones a beauty Steve. Great profile, and the upward angle gives it a different appeal. Good choice in the processing department. Buffalos seem to work out well in sepia tones - Chinn posted a nice one a while back, and I've seen one by Jack Spencer that sold for many thousands.
Thank you! This is the one I wanted to post as Red Beard in my 30 Day Challenge, but the original is a mess and it didn't strike me until later to try it in black and white, which led to sepia, which led to warming it. I'm bummed I blew the settings but learned something in the process so that's never a loss. I'll return to them though and make them my own! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm
I was looking at it again this morning and was thinking the same. Thank you so much! S-
Steve, I prefer this final offering over all, including butts & faces. Bokeh is just enough, texture appropriate, posture perfect. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 pm
Steve, I prefer this final offering over all, including butts & faces. Bokeh is just enough, texture appropriate, posture perfect. Matt
I think I was trying too hard with Butts And Faces but really like this one. Thank you so much! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 pm
For me, a strong portrait - definitely showing its best side :) The pp evokes the era before their slaughter and is nicely even with lighting and focus so as not to distract.
I seem to have missed this -

Thank you so much! As bad as the original is I think it turned out pretty good. I may work on it some more as time passes but luckily the herd is fairly close so I may make more as well. Thank you again, encouragement helps too! S-