"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiqueThe American Bison

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The American Bison

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm
Steve,

This reminds me of a snowmobile ride my bride and I took into Yellowstone one deep winter when we lived in MT. We came around a bend in the road and braked to a quick stop: a herd of about 20 filled the road ahead of us, the steam of their breath and bodies surrounding them in a frosty cloud. They paused only momentarily to inspect us then continued across the road. They are massive beasts and fast. It was a heart-stopping moment.

Don't get too close to this little lady, amigo. Your deadly charm might not work.

Matt
It seems I missed this too -

Now I'm sure jealous! I have always wanted to do Yellowstone in winter and to see a herd of twenty, wow! I can actually see it the way you describe it, the big one pawing the snow, all of them steaming, the little birds not sure what to do. WOW!

Part of the sign at the range says: This herd retains many of its wild characteristics. If a bison's tail hangs down and swings naturally, the animal is calm. If the tail stands straight up, it might be ready to charge. Bison are highly unpredictable and can be dangerous. They can spin quickly, jump up to 6 feet, and run at speeds up to 35 mph. They have poor eyesight but have an excellent sense of smell and hearing. The largest North American mammals, bison can weight up to 2,000 pounds - larger than grizzly bears moose or elk. They spend 9 to 11 hours foraging on grasses and weeds, consuming about 1.6 percent of their body weight daily.

Thank you for the fun story and your kind words! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 am

Yep. That’s the way it was.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M