Animals CritiqueLife in the Shadow

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Life in the Shadow

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:34 pm

One of the die-hard winter dam birds. There are 3 who fish there in any season, but the flock hasn't yet returned. All comments, edits, are welcome.
Attachments
standing in the shadows (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Works for me! I'm trying to imagine how I'd perceive this if I hadn't seen the series over this past year. I would probably think that was a scary stairway (no railing!) outside some industrial facility. I am not sure I'd even think about whether there should be water there (why else the egret - except my GBH's are all over, including cow pastures). What I'm trying to say is this is such a strong graphical study of light and shadow and contrast of delicate beauty against ugly, that I don't need to make sense of it. Love it, Minnie.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:26 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Works for me! I'm trying to imagine how I'd perceive this if I hadn't seen the series over this past year. I would probably think that was a scary stairway (no railing!) outside some industrial facility. I am not sure I'd even think about whether there should be water there (why else the egret - except my GBH's are all over, including cow pastures). What I'm trying to say is this is such a strong graphical study of light and shadow and contrast of delicate beauty against ugly, that I don't need to make sense of it. Love it, Minnie.

Thanks, Linda. I do find myself thinking of the dam bird photos as part of the set now, instead of freestanding. It's a caution I have to keep in mind. The last shoot I had there was in very harsh light, and the results are strongly defined by shape and shadow and texture. There will be more of them like this.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

This is really swell minniev...Linda has said more than I could, which isn't hard at all....a real eye catcher and one of the better of the series I think...

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Psjunkie wrote:This is really swell minniev...Linda has said more than I could, which isn't hard at all....a real eye catcher and one of the better of the series I think...

Thank you Frank, glad you like it. It's one of the graphical ones, like Linda said, and they are a bit different than the ones with all the tumultuous water and squabbling birds.

I was undecided about brightening the bird any further, for an even more graphical look, but past this seemed a bit too unrealistic. Still waffling though...

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Quite literally "brilliant!" I think the composition is amazing, and so serendipitous. The light on the "staircase" leads directly to and stops just short of the brilliant bird. Classical chiaroscuro! Very well done! (Y) I also love the warmth of the light on the steps contrasting with the cool, even chilly light on the bird. I don't know if this is split-toned but regardless it works like crazy! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Quite literally "brilliant!" I think the composition is amazing, and so serendipitous. The light on the "staircase" leads directly to and stops just short of the brilliant bird. Classical chiaroscuro! Very well done! (Y) I also love the warmth of the light on the steps contrasting with the cool, even chilly light on the bird. I don't know if this is split-toned but regardless it works like crazy! :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck, it is one done totally in Lightroom, and it does have a little shred of toning, not much. The contrasty light limits what I can do with them, but it works right well for oddball presentations like this one.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:20 pm

minniev wrote:One of the die-hard winter dam birds. There are 3 who fish there in any season, but the flock hasn't yet returned. All comments, edits, are welcome.

Gorgeous, Minnie. Superb use of line and shadow, composition, contrast, tone and texture. When I saw this, I thought "Wish I could do that!" Do me a favor; no more postings like this. You don't want me to give up, do you? Seriously, you have given me something to strive for. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Has to be my favorite of your series Minnie. Love that light and the composition you've captured.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Has to be my favorite of your series Minnie. Love that light and the composition you've captured.

Thank you Ernst. There's a subgroup of the birds that are rather simplistic and graphic like this and a few are in the gallery collection. They are interesting when printed on that German etching paper.