"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiqueLife in the Shadow

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Life in the Shadow

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:One of the die-hard winter dam birds. There are 3 who fish there in any season, but the flock hasn't yet returned. All comments, edits, are welcome.

Gorgeous, Minnie. Superb use of line and shadow, composition, contrast, tone and texture. When I saw this, I thought "Wish I could do that!" Do me a favor; no more postings like this. You don't want me to give up, do you? Seriously, you have given me something to strive for. Thank you. Matt

Matt, you are too kind. I still have much to learn, but good people to learn it with!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:34 pm
One of the die-hard winter dam birds. There are 3 who fish there in any season, but the flock hasn't yet returned. All comments, edits, are welcome.
I recognized this shot immediately, but think the light may be different. I really like the total blacks and the beautiful delicacy of the bird. The light is just right to give it what it needs but not enough to overwhelm it. Absolutely beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:07 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 am

I recognized this shot immediately, but think the light may be different. I really like the total blacks and the beautiful delicacy of the bird. The light is just right to give it what it needs but not enough to overwhelm it. Absolutely beautiful! S-
Thank you so much! This was taken while you were here, and you probably have similar. It is shot across the water, and cropped, but I didn't try to mitigate the contrast much, just raised the whites a bit to bring the bird out some.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones