Animals CritiqueCormorant Madness

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Cormorant Madness

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 pm

minniev wrote:I added the toning to the already kind of gold look. Ever experimenting, and still undediced :) about it working. Would be interested in seeing yours from that shoot.

I have a hard time with edits too where I'm undecided on which to present, but in the end it all comes down to the story I'm trying to tell. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Bobby Deal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 am

Intriquing image of a great natural event. When I used to fish out of San Diego the harbor and boat docks would always have huge numbers of Cormorants hanging out on them. I never saw them flock like this though.

I think I get where you were going with the post on this one but think it is off just a touch. I think perhaps there is a touch too much red and overall the contrast feels a little low to me.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:Intriquing image of a great natural event. When I used to fish out of San Diego the harbor and boat docks would always have huge numbers of Cormorants hanging out on them. I never saw them flock like this though.

I think I get where you were going with the post on this one but think it is off just a touch. I think perhaps there is a touch too much red and overall the contrast feels a little low to me.

Thanks for the comments! The toning and the reduced contrast (done with tone curve tinkering) was an experiment, and of course all experiments don't work out as well as one hopes. I may do up another version to see if a more traditional editing approach works better.

I never saw this many in one place anywhere, had to be a migratory event. I have other shots that were of interest too. It was one of those spontaneous shoots, we were headed to do something else, spotted this bird madhouse and veered of the road to try and get something before they moved on.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones