St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A New Form of Glamour For Me

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:
St3v3M wrote:I love the depth of field on your 300, but the images seem a little flat like they were taken in fog. May I post a simply edit? S-

The bokeh of the Nikon 300 f/2.8 is legendary. It progresses naturally and smoothly. No you may not play with heavily compressed 72 dpi versions of these to try and convince me they are flat. Truly they are not, they were taken early in the AM at very high ISO on a day with very low hanging cloud cover and occasional ground fog. Mostly though they were taken right at first light, which is around a half hour before sunrise. The distance of background behind them averages 2 miles of open prairie.

To clarify, I meant the images looked flat, as in dull, and thought to show you what the download achieved, but I respect your reply. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:20 am

St3v3M wrote:To clarify, I meant the images looked flat, as in dull, and thought to show you what the download achieved, but I respect your reply. S-

Steve, What you see is the closest representation to what the scene actually looked like. To alter it by boosting the saturation would be an inaccurate representation of the scene and is not something I strive for in my wildlife photography. I shoot these with publication in mind and do to that I do not want to misrepresent the scene. Every trip out is different, the time of day, the weather, the overall conditions and the whims of the animals as to if they stand in the good light or 5 feet from it in the crappy light. With wildlife we work with what mother nature allows us and then do the best we can to provide quality reproductions of the scene.

Here are a couple bucks for you in better light and a shallower environment, and yes I could still boost contrast and color but it would not be natural to the scene
Attachments
RDP_8729.jpg

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:32 am

Bobby Deal wrote:Steve, What you see is the closest representation to what the scene actually looked like. ...

I've been there and seen that and I too like to show an image as close to as-is as possible. It took me ages to use anything but the basic editing programs and even then I fought the idea of working an image 'too much.' I'm not a fan of Saturation much either so no worries there, well unless it's art then all bets are off. And I meant no disrespect to you or your images, rather I found them in the Critique section so I thought you would appreciate honest feedback and may like to see another view. I have grown by learning to see through other people's eyes, but I'm sure I'm odd in that way and should not expect others to want to as well.

An image is what an image is and the story we want to tell. Keep shooting those deer! (We really need to find a better word for that...) S-

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 am

St3v3M wrote:
Bobby Deal wrote:Steve, What you see is the closest representation to what the scene actually looked like. ...

I've been there and seen that and I too like to show an image as close to as-is as possible. It took me ages to use anything but the basic editing programs and even then I fought the idea of working an image 'too much.' I'm not a fan of Saturation much either so no worries there, well unless it's art then all bets are off. And I meant no disrespect to you or your images, rather I found them in the Critique section so I thought you would appreciate honest feedback and may like to see another view. I have grown by learning to see through other people's eyes, but I'm sure I'm odd in that way and should not expect others to want to as well.

An image is what an image is and the story we want to tell. Keep shooting those deer! (We really need to find a better word for that...) S-

I do not mind people sharing their thoughts with me, I do however, rarely allow others to edit my images, and if I do I never allow it from a previously edited web resolution version. If I am reading this post correctly I get that you are presuming I am unfamiliar with post production beyond the basics? I am not sure what happened to the videos but I had several posted in the tutorials section teaching various techniques such as Frequency Separation and portrait retouching.

As you said an image is what it is and it has a story to tell. The way they appear here is the telling of the story as I told it. Each person can always interpret it differently. That said I am open to suggestions if you would like to lay them out I will take your suggestions into PS and give them a try.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 am

Bobby Deal wrote:I do not mind people sharing their thoughts with me ...

Everyone has their own path and stories to tell, I would not presume to step on another's. We're just happy to have you here! S-

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 am

St3v3M wrote:
Bobby Deal wrote:I do not mind people sharing their thoughts with me ...

Everyone has their own path and stories to tell, I would not presume to step on another's. We're just happy to have you here! S-

Seriously I am happy to give your method a try. I have learned many new things by trying other peoples methods and then adapting them to my taste. Which when you get to the end of the day is what we all do. I have been at this a long time but by no means am I unteachable. You give me a road map I will follow it. If you look back at many of my posts you will see that is how I teach as well. Alternatively if you want to do a video tutorial of your technique to post to the pM Youtube channel which oddly no longer has any content on it I will happily provide you a high res photo to start with.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:31 am

Bobby Deal wrote:Seriously I am happy to give your method a try. I have learned many new things by trying other peoples methods and then adapting them to my taste. Which when you get to the end of the day is what we all do. I have been at this a long time but by no means am I unteachable. You give me a road map I will follow it. If you look back at many of my posts you will see that is how I teach as well. Alternatively if you want to do a video tutorial of your technique to post to the pM Youtube channel which oddly no longer has any content on it I will happily provide you a high res photo to start with.

I deleted the images out of respect, and looking back they were not as you saw the day so they might taint the process. Another time! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 am

In regards to older parts not having attached images or embedded videos... We had a major hiccup during a server migration back in the day that caused the loss of a bunch of images. We have asked members to go back and see if they can reattach the images if they still have them accessible. It's optional.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 am

Duck, I will see what I can do, it would take a lot of remembering to get the right images

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:02 pm

It's really nice to see you back around here Bobby!
Some very nice critter shots!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.