“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Animals CritiquePrayer to the Bird God

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Prayer to the Bird God

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 pm

I don't know what this bird was doing, but he did it for about 10 minutes - starting straight up. He wasn't eating or drinking, just looking. It isn't the most photogenic pose I've seen a heron display but it was interesting to watch. All comments and suggestions appreciated. He was in such nice late afternoon sun I had to try.
Attachments
prayer (1 of 1)-3.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 am

Minnie, You live in a gorgeous location; all this good stuff around you. Water, birds, logs, grass, trees -- a great theatre for your camera and tender eye. Love the reflections. Should I mention leading lines, internal framing, contrasting colors, subtle vignetting ? I think he was drying out his whiskers. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, You live in a gorgeous location; all this good stuff around you. Water, birds, logs, grass, trees -- a great theatre for your camera and tender eye. Love the reflections. Should I mention leading lines, internal framing, contrasting colors, subtle vignetting ? I think he was drying out his whiskers. Matt

Matt, if you could see these places I shoot, you'd laugh! At first look, they're ugly, plain and simple. But add some good light, a bird, and find an angle that minimizes the ugly parts, and it is possible to get a decent shot.

Drying his whiskers! I love it! And thank you!

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 pm

minniev wrote:I don't know what this bird was doing, but he did it for about 10 minutes - starting straight up. He wasn't eating or drinking, just looking. It isn't the most photogenic pose I've seen a heron display but it was interesting to watch. All comments and suggestions appreciated. He was in such nice late afternoon sun I had to try.

I find it amusing when we capture animals doing odd things that seem out of the norm. You have captured this one well and I suppose it will remain a mystery to what this bird was thinking/doing. A unique image that should remain in your files for future project comparisons. Maybe a new bird series in the works? Maybe "Birds in the Loof". I add the definition I was referring so there would be no misunderstanding.

Fool backwards. You say loof because it sounds a lot better than fool. But, it basically means the same; that the person being CALLED a loof is an idiot.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 am

It always amazes what you can capture handheld and that quality of light, wonderful!

I like the idea he was drying his whiskers but I also look at that eye and wonder if he was hunting, or keeping an eye out for an alligator.

"Birds in the Loof,' I like it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 am

davechinn wrote:I find it amusing when we capture animals doing odd things that seem out of the norm. You have captured this one well and I suppose it will remain a mystery to what this bird was thinking/doing. A unique image that should remain in your files for future project comparisons. Maybe a new bird series in the works? Maybe "Birds in the Loof". I add the definition I was referring so there would be no misunderstanding.

Fool backwards. You say loof because it sounds a lot better than fool. But, it basically means the same; that the person being CALLED a loof is an idiot.
Dave

Love the term LOOF. I do have several dam birds doing weird stuff. I always wish I could just talk to them a little while and find out more what they think, and they definitely do think. Thanks so much for the kind words!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 am

St3v3M wrote:It always amazes what you can capture handheld and that quality of light, wonderful!

I like the idea he was drying his whiskers but I also look at that eye and wonder if he was hunting, or keeping an eye out for an alligator.

"Birds in the Loof,' I like it! S-

Well, you gotta have a high shutter to get birds, and they move too much for me to follow them with a tripod, as slow and clumsy as I am. So handheld works better for me with birds.

Maybe he was waiting for the supermoon, we shall never know. But he was funny. And thanks Steve!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 am

minniev wrote:Maybe he was waiting for the supermoon, we shall never know. But he was funny. And thanks Steve!

I'm honored to have seen him! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"