"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiquePicture story - A captive swanlet's first year

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Picture story - A captive swanlet's first year

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 am

Trumpeter swan cygnets remain gray in color until after their first winter. Clipped wing pairs have been this local cemetery's mascots for decades. The current pair started producing offspring in 2014. In the first two years surviving juveniles were relocated (some were eaten by predators when tiny). In 2017 only two eggs hatched, with one surviving. I don't know the cemetery's plans for its future.

Feedback regarding the images as a "photostory" would be much appreciated. Suggestions for edit improvements welcomed. Thanks!
Attachments
0 p1030337_bw.jpg
0 p1030337_bw.jpg (489.84 KiB) Viewed 588 times
0 P7130276 bw.jpg
0 P7130276 bw.jpg (414.49 KiB) Viewed 588 times
0 P1040325 bw.jpg
0 P1040325 bw.jpg (502.75 KiB) Viewed 588 times
0 P1040463 bw diff cr2.jpg
0 P1040463 bw diff cr2.jpg (374.45 KiB) Viewed 588 times
1 P1040379 bw.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for the baby album! He is adorable, but of course cuter as a baby, like most kids are (before they grow up and get scruffy, rangy and dirty). The last image is a little disconcerting as we come face to face with the jail he seems to be in, and the sun's reflection is costing a lot of detail. The first is my favorite, the second is a wonderful smile-creator with that ugly-duckling impression and the baleful look he's casting your way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:35 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks for the baby album! He is adorable, but of course cuter as a baby, like most kids are (before they grow up and get scruffy, rangy and dirty). The last image is a little disconcerting as we come face to face with the jail he seems to be in, and the sun's reflection is costing a lot of detail. The first is my favorite, the second is a wonderful smile-creator with that ugly-duckling impression and the baleful look he's casting your way.

Thanks so much for your comments, Minnie. I'm glad you got the "jail" idea :) And I appreciate your concern re the sun interfering with detail in that last pic. Probably more tolerable with color shots and/or different subject?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Trumpeter swan cygnets remain gray in color until after their first winter. Clipped wing pairs have been this local cemetery's mascots for decades. The current pair started producing offspring in 2014. In the first two years surviving juveniles were relocated (some were eaten by predators when tiny). In 2017 only two eggs hatched, with one surviving. I don't know the cemetery's plans for its future.

Feedback regarding the images as a "photostory" would be much appreciated. Suggestions for edit improvements welcomed. Thanks!

A wonderful set Linda !!! You have supplied some info I was not aware of with Swans. Most appealing to me is the first and last photo. Never would have thought in terms of jail, but now that it has been pointed out, I'll have to agree, it especially goes along with your story. Clipped wings, eaten by predators and only two eggs hatched with only one surviving has got to be some sort of concentration camp for these swans.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 pm

davechinn wrote:A wonderful set Linda !!! You have supplied some info I was not aware of with Swans. Most appealing to me is the first and last photo. Never would have thought in terms of jail, but now that it has been pointed out, I'll have to agree, it especially goes along with your story. Clipped wings, eaten by predators and only two eggs hatched with only one surviving has got to be some sort of concentration camp for these swans.
Dave

Thanks, Dave. I also heard that when the round-up occurred for relocation with the first six (in 2015), there was at least one injury. You have to wonder if no plan was ever put in place for when/if the adults produced offspring. I very much appreciate your time and interest!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:55 am

LindaShorey wrote:Trumpeter swan cygnets remain gray in color until after their first winter. Clipped wing pairs have been this local cemetery's mascots for decades. The current pair started producing offspring in 2014. In the first two years surviving juveniles were relocated (some were eaten by predators when tiny). In 2017 only two eggs hatched, with one surviving. I don't know the cemetery's plans for its future.

A wonderful set, Linda, very sensitive and expressive in a genuinely understated way. I envy your ability with b&w; tones shimmer, gradations are subtle and pleasing, contrast just right. I find the blacks particularly pleasing; they hold my eye. Well done .. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:59 am

Linda, I forgot to mention that #4 is my favorite. Looks like he/she came paddling toward you and turned at the last moment to show a noble profile. Got attitude. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Phil Y » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 am

Ah, now I understand. A beautifully photographed and slightly melancholy essay Linda. The BW is just the thing.
"...beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them, the least we can do is try to be there" Annie Dillard

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:A wonderful set, Linda, very sensitive and expressive in a genuinely understated way. I envy your ability with b&w; tones shimmer, gradations are subtle and pleasing, contrast just right. I find the blacks particularly pleasing; they hold my eye. Well done .. Matt

Thank you, Matt! I'm so glad you enjoyed. Your lovely comments are much appreciated.

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I forgot to mention that #4 is my favorite. Looks like he/she came paddling toward you and turned at the last moment to show a noble profile. Got attitude. Matt
It was friendly and curious. I think it was wondering if my camera was edible :)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Phil Y wrote:Ah, now I understand. A beautifully photographed and slightly melancholy essay Linda. The BW is just the thing.

Melancholy is an excellent description of the situation, Phil. It seemed easier to accept the adults as they have been there for years. But a youngster with its life ahead of it? I'm very grateful for your time and comments!