Animals CritiqueKings Bear

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Kings Bear

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Steve, the bear is beautiful and the story is absolutely wonderful. I'm not one that thinks a picture must always stand alone. This one can, but the story makes the picture come alive in a new way, so the words are an extra gift.

As for the image itself, I found that the truncated view pM gave me when I first saw it (which crops a bit from the right side) is my favored version. It still has plenty of environmental context, but focuses more on this beautiful animal.

Love the rich colors of her coat. Were you using a polarizer? You didn't suffer from reflections off her fur, in that bright sun, which is a problem I've had. Of course I don't see enough bears to practice much!

Thank you for sharing the bear and the story!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:49 pm

"A walk in the woods - narration and photography by St3v3M" - will be a bestseller I think!

Like Minnie, I also only initially saw a cropped version - perhaps more so in my case as I zoom in to pages so I can see text better, then have to zoom back out to see wide photos. There is something about the depth of field on the right side that doesn't look right. Is that just from the lens, or did you pp? While I love the context, the large area out of focus is somewhat distracting as the sharper area appears to stop abruptly. I'm on the fence about the burned log: again, a large element out of focus - the degree to which this is a negative is, of course, totally subjective viewer to viewer. But it definitely reinforces the wilderness theme of the scene.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:29 am

davechinn wrote:Steve, I really enjoyed reading the storyline to this fabulous image. This sorta thing reminds me that there is a reason for everything. However, we may not know the reason or never know, but in this case we do know. That's what makes the story and photo so fabulous, IMO. The story doesn't take away from the image, but the story certainly adds to it. A job well done on all accounts.
Dave

I went to enjoy the scenery but helping tourist see the beauty of the park was a bonus. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 am

minniev wrote:Steve, the bear is beautiful and the story is absolutely wonderful. I'm not one that thinks a picture must always stand alone. This one can, but the story makes the picture come alive in a new way, so the words are an extra gift.

As for the image itself, I found that the truncated view pM gave me when I first saw it (which crops a bit from the right side) is my favored version. It still has plenty of environmental context, but focuses more on this beautiful animal.

Love the rich colors of her coat. Were you using a polarizer? You didn't suffer from reflections off her fur, in that bright sun, which is a problem I've had. Of course I don't see enough bears to practice much!

Thank you for sharing the bear and the story!

Nature is an amazing thing and I was blessed to be a part of it! I have so many stories but feel more comfortable behind the lens, I guess I should try both.

When I look at the original post I see the entire image. Can you post a screenshot of what you see so I can see the cropped version too? I'm always curious to see what other people would do with my images, but never thought pM would do it for me!

Browns come in a variety of colors from black'ish to red'ish and blonde, but I've never seen one with this coloring. I couldn't tell if she spent too much time in the Sun or had her day at the salon. LIghting was an issue, and sadly no polarizer so I had to work the image a bit to make it work. She's all natural though.

I'm glad you're home and look forward to your stories as well! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:03 am

LindaShorey wrote:"A walk in the woods - narration and photography by St3v3M" - will be a bestseller I think!

Like Minnie, I also only initially saw a cropped version - perhaps more so in my case as I zoom in to pages so I can see text better, then have to zoom back out to see wide photos. There is something about the depth of field on the right side that doesn't look right. Is that just from the lens, or did you pp? While I love the context, the large area out of focus is somewhat distracting as the sharper area appears to stop abruptly. I'm on the fence about the burned log: again, a large element out of focus - the degree to which this is a negative is, of course, totally subjective viewer to viewer. But it definitely reinforces the wilderness theme of the scene.

I can't wait to read the bestseller. Let me know when it's out... laf

And for your eyes only, this is more what the original looked like. Enjoy! S-
Attachments
IMG_0819-1.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:25 pm

St3v3M wrote:I can't wait to read the bestseller. Let me know when it's out... laf

And for your eyes only, this is more what the original looked like. Enjoy! S-

Ah yes, now it makes sense :) Thank you for that. Below is how I saw the image originally. Note scroll bar at bottom of the photo (top is OK; I just cropped out my bookmark bar from the screenprint and the crop caught top of your pic). If I were to reduce screen size, I wouldn't be able to read the text.
Attachments
cropScreenshot2017-09-16at6.13.33AM.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:13 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Ah yes, now it makes sense :) Thank you for that. Below is how I saw the image originally. Note scroll bar at bottom of the photo (top is OK; I just cropped out my bookmark bar from the screenprint and the crop caught top of your pic). If I were to reduce screen size, I wouldn't be able to read the text.

Did you like centering her too? S-

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you for sharing the bear and the story![/quote]
Nature is an amazing thing and I was blessed to be a part of it! I have so many stories but feel more comfortable behind the lens, I guess I should try both.

When I look at the original post I see the entire image. Can you post a screenshot of what you see so I can see the cropped version too? I'm always curious to see what other people would do with my images, but never thought pM would do it for me!

... S-[/quote]

Here's the version I saw first. And I got attached to it!
Attachments
IMG_0819-4f.jpg
IMG_0819-4f.jpg (230.8 KiB) Viewed 428 times

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 am

minniev wrote:Here's the version I saw first. And I got attached to it!

I like this one too. Thank you for adding this! S-

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Here's the version I saw first. And I got attached to it!

I like this one too. Thank you for adding this! S-

I did indeed.

I am an inveterate rule breaker so don't ever listen to me. i put subjects in dead center, I never simplify my compositions, I include too much in the frame and various other sins and transgressions, too many to list.